Algae on Rocks!!!! Help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fdiaz78

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Naples, FL
Visit site
75 Gal
Lighting 40 Watts, 10 hours a day.

Pictures:

Water parameters as of 10:00 AM EST
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 15-20 PPM
Feedings: 1-2 times a day with flake.
25% water changes every week.

Please help.

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
As yer tank matures this will be less of an issue. You know what I do??? I bleach all my stuff with bleach and water for about an hour and then I let everything dry out for overnight and then I rinse well and put back into the tank. Everything is fine. When bleach completely dries out, it is inert! Cool huh??

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Do you have any live plants in there? If not, cut down the light...there's no need for 10 hours a day.

Just curious, what are those pinkish fish in there with the red zebras? Couldn't get a good angle in the shots.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
africans will pick at and eat the algae covering the rocks. Many of them are largly herbivorious species. Besides, the algae looks natural and will help control your nitrates and phosphates.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I agree w/slipknottin. On my mbuna tank I ran several times the light you have, 12hrs per day - to support algae growth on the rocks! The fish grazed it routinely - many/most of them are herbivores or herbivorous/micropredators - so it is "free" fish food, and more natural behavior. I certainly would not bleach the rocks.

It might or might not lower your nitrate levels, which I'd like to see a bit lower. That may depend on the nitrate level in your water supply.

fdiaz78

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Naples, FL
Visit site
Originally posted by slipknottin
africans will pick at and eat the algae covering the rocks. Many of them are largly herbivorious species. Besides, the algae looks natural and will help control your nitrates and phosphates.
Oh :) I thought that brownish algae was a bad thing :)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
not at all, diatoms and other brown algae is a pretty good food source for grazing fish.

The rocks in my mbuna tank are getting covered with purple and green 'turf' algae. Looks pretty cool. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store