Will Damsels eat Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
Wanted to get a couple shrimp for my tank but guy @ lfs said the Blue Damsels would have an $11 dollar dinner.
Is this correct ?
Will Damsels eat cleaning shrimp?
If so what are other good bottom cleaners/ feeders that damsels would leave be?

I did see 1 blue damsel trying pick @ 1 of the snails that hicthed a ride on some live rock.
I don't think these sanils R Turbos , they R coned shaped.

what about star fish ?

Tank is month & a half old.

2 different links below , still trying to figure this out.

Last edited:

ben72227

AC Members
Jun 21, 2003
Arkansas
i assume that you're talking about yellow tail blue damsels?

they don't eat cleaner shrimp or inverts. that are in the tank. they will eat mysid shrimp though - it's part of their diet.

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
Not sure what you mean by ornamental. I meant shrimp like the coral banded or pepermint shrimp, part of the clean up crew.
I was going to get a coral banded shrimp last week but the guy @ lfs said my blue damsels would eat it.

thanks 4 the replys !

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
that s why I'm in the newbie forum

well now I will worry bout that too, but now I was wondering if what guy @ lfs told me is true , bout damsels eating the shrimp.

& now will shrimp eat clown fish ??

Last edited:

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
Ornimental shrimp, meaning not food shrimp, like cleaner shrimp, coral banded, and so on.

this is a quote from liveaquaria.com about the blue damsel.

"It is a good fish for beginners, and makes an ideal companion fish for a saltwater tank of over 30 gallons, and as a great companion for reefs and invertebrates. As the fish matures it may become aggressive, causing problems with the selection of other species to be added to the aquarium."

See: Great companion for reefs and invertebrates (ie shrimp).

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
Originally posted by Guy W
Ornimental shrimp, meaning not food shrimp, like cleaner shrimp, coral banded, and so on.

this is a quote from liveaquaria.com about the blue damsel.

"It is a good fish for beginners, and makes an ideal companion fish for a saltwater tank of over 30 gallons, and as a great companion for reefs and invertebrates. As the fish matures it may become aggressive, causing problems with the selection of other species to be added to the aquarium."

See: Great companion for reefs and invertebrates (ie shrimp).
Until it matures. hmmm
Thank You very much Guy W & Sregnar35.
This does help some.
Man !, the're way too many different conflicting opinions in this hobby, confusing sometimes, But I know not every tank or inhabitant R the same,

Thanks a lot every one, might just get 1 & prey & see what happens.

Guy W , u like TOOL ?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store