Buffing out scratches on a used glass tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
I bought a used tank off craigslist, and it's kind of scratchy. None of the scratches seem to be particularly deep as my fingernail can run right over them. So I'm thinking these can be buffed out. I've used toothpaste before to buff out scratches on glass, and I'm thinking of using that here. However, these scratches are on in the inside of the tank, not the outside.

Will the toothpaste leave any deadly residue? How can I make sure that nothing is left behind? The tank is going to start out as a planted tank, so it'll be a long while before any fish are put into it if that's relevant at all.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
The toothpaste attempt certainly won't hurt, but it also may not help. I've found that buffing out scratches in used tanks is a pretty hard thing to do. Just rinse out the toothpaste residue. My suggestion might be one of the baking soda toothpastes as opposed to the gels. I've also tried automotive rubbing compounds with mix success.
Andy

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...l=&oq=glass+buff&gs_rfai=&fp=4f910945c1ee36d4

i know, i know... just a google link, but it illustrates well imho that there's glass buffing compounds out there and where to get them. i believe you're looking for cerium oxide if the toothpaste and automotive compounds don't work. you might call auto supply joints and see if they carry it specifically... it's worth a shot.

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
I went to Pep Boys today and bought some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. Supposed to be non-toxic and safe-ish to use. If this doesn't work, I'm tempted to buy a new tank altogether. The tank is 150 gallons, so it wasn't really all that cheap despite being used. But I know all of those scratches are gonna bug the hell out of me. I'll just chalk up the money lost to a learning experience.

Something tells me I should've posted a question here first about a used tank of Craig's List before buying .. lol.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
A lot of times, scratches arent nearly as noticeable after the tank is filled with water.

asincero

AC Members
Jan 16, 2006
I think I was mistaken. I don't think these aren't scratches, but rather hard water stains. At any rate, the rubbing compound didn't work. Vinegar didn't work. Using vinegar and a razor blade didn't work either. I'm gonna go to home depot today and get some OxyClean and see if that does anything (not too optimistic). And if that doesn't work, some CLR.

I'm hesitant to use chemicals inside the tank though. If I end having to use strong chemicals, I may just dump the tank and get a new one. I don't want to wonder if my tank will be a Tank of Death for any of the innocent fish I'm going to put in it. I'll try the chemicals just to satisfy my morbid curiosity if it'll get it out.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
If you rinse the tank carefully I don't think it will become the tank of death. That being said, there is a good chance that those stains are chemically etched into the glass. It CAN and DOES happen, and NO amount of scrubbing, chemicals etc. will take them out. If it's going to bother you, then replace the tank. I know it would bother me, and as much as it will cost you $ to do this, I'd rather spend some money and be happy rather than set up the tank, and then regret it staring at the imperfections and looking at a teardown/tank replacement sometime down the road.
Andy

I think I was mistaken. I don't think these aren't scratches, but rather hard water stains. At any rate, the rubbing compound didn't work. Vinegar didn't work. Using vinegar and a razor blade didn't work either. I'm gonna go to home depot today and get some OxyClean and see if that does anything (not too optimistic). And if that doesn't work, some CLR.

I'm hesitant to use chemicals inside the tank though. If I end having to use strong chemicals, I may just dump the tank and get a new one. I don't want to wonder if my tank will be a Tank of Death for any of the innocent fish I'm going to put in it. I'll try the chemicals just to satisfy my morbid curiosity if it'll get it out.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've cleaned and buffed out a lot of different materials. glass can be buffed out.

btw, the idea of buffing does not really remove the scratch but basically cuts the edge of the scratch.

this changes the way light reflects or passes thru the scratch. in essence you remove the rough edge of the scratch and the scratch is nearly invisible.

the same thing happens when polishing metals, wood, plastics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store