My kids want to go fishing. need ideas.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

conbrio

AC Members
Nov 5, 2004
Mid TN
Well my girls expressed interest in going fishing. I havent fished since I was my oldest daughters age (6) and I would like some ideas on what is else might be needed.

What I have so far for them is some cane poles furnished by grandad. They came with some basic tackle gear. nothing fancy. We tried some bank fishing but so far the places we have been to are less than stellar. Should I buy a rod and reel so we can cast it out and not have to worry about the shortness of the cane poles reach?

Bait. I am not wanting to use live bait atm because as typical with kids the attention is not huge, and last time we went fishing we used one worm out of twenty. What would be something that they could use that might help them catch a fish.

I am not wanting to put a huge amount of money in this venture atm unless I decide I really want to fish myself if the girls dont and/or the girls decide they really like this and want to continue. So far they say that they really like it but we have yet to catch a fish. Oh yeah I did get my fishing license so we are legal.

Anything else that we might need?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Well my girls expressed interest in going fishing. I havent fished since I was my oldest daughters age (6) and I would like some ideas on what is else might be needed.

What I have so far for them is some cane poles furnished by grandad. They came with some basic tackle gear. nothing fancy. We tried some bank fishing but so far the places we have been to are less than stellar. Should I buy a rod and reel so we can cast it out and not have to worry about the shortness of the cane poles reach?

Bait. I am not wanting to use live bait atm because as typical with kids the attention is not huge, and last time we went fishing we used one worm out of twenty. What would be something that they could use that might help them catch a fish.

I am not wanting to put a huge amount of money in this venture atm unless I decide I really want to fish myself if the girls dont and/or the girls decide they really like this and want to continue. So far they say that they really like it but we have yet to catch a fish. Oh yeah I did get my fishing license so we are legal.

Anything else that we might need?
I don't know much about fishing, AT ALL. When I do go, it's to catch stuff so I can ID it, LOL. However, I do know I got my rod/reel combo at Walmart for 12$, and it works great for what I want to do. Pick up one of the mixed lure kits while you are there, and you are golden.
This website helped me a lot. http://www.takemefishing.org/

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
you can pick up some cheap tackle at wal mart, along with rods and reels.

You'll also need a fishing lisence as well.

I wouldnt fool around with lures and flies and such, just get some night crawlers or rubber worms and go with that. You may never use the stuff again!

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
Dig up some worms in the back yard or in the flower beds. Another nice thing to do with the kids. I would say buy 1 beginner setup fishing rod and reel with the push button casting reel. It is the easiest for them to learn with. You should be able to get one for about $15 to $20. Then let them take turns learning how to cast with it and the cane poles can fill in while one is casting. Although I do know that could cause a rift if they don't want to take turns ;). Get some bobbers too. Don't forget the PB&J's and juice boxes to keep them occupied or you will be fishing for about 10min.

Lowryder

AC Members
Feb 16, 2010
Dirty Jerzey
A good, cheap lure that is great for kids...hmmm. Go fishing for sunnies and use a bare hook lol. I am a live bait guy myself, aside from flyfishing, but I have heard of great success with powerbait. It is also good for kids because you can cover the whole hook with it and avoid some snags. Just remember take them some place where the WILL catch a fish, that way they dont get discourged. A pond with some sunnies is a great start.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
walmart's got really cute little rods for kids, too... i don't know how good they are as i've never gone fishing with a little kid or one of those little rods, but i bet a disney princess rod would keep their attention on the fishing for more than five minutes lol

also, depending on what you're fishing for, chicken livers, squid, or small, cheap shrimp from the grocery store work pretty well. and then you're not stuck with a bunch of lures and stuff you'll never use if they get over it quickly.

TankHobbyist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
pick up a can of the yellow power bait from bas pro make sure it is the sinking kind for crapie i put it on a size 8 - 12 hook and catch just about all kindsa fish

Thalan

AC Members
Sep 26, 2009
As a kid I always used bread. You can get Sunfish and Cats all day, and I've even caught a LMB with it. Find a spot along the bank with cover and if there are fish the water there will be Sunfish there. Use the crust as chum and you can track them down pretty quick. I'd say stick with the cane poles too, the less moving parts the better when theres kids involved.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Dig up some worms in the back yard or in the flower beds. Another nice thing to do with the kids. I would say buy 1 beginner setup fishing rod and reel with the push button casting reel. It is the easiest for them to learn with. You should be able to get one for about $15 to $20. Then let them take turns learning how to cast with it and the cane poles can fill in while one is casting. Although I do know that could cause a rift if they don't want to take turns ;). Get some bobbers too. Don't forget the PB&J's and juice boxes to keep them occupied or you will be fishing for about 10min.
i agree with the idea of digging up the worms yourselves, its really easy during/after a nice rain. that will save you some money and its kind've fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store