BN Pleco Breeding Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Wasn't planning on these guys breeding so soon, but nature took it's course! Yesterday I noticed some of the eggs hanging out of where mama and papa decided to spawn. They picked an odd spot... between two vertical pieces of driftwood. Unfortunately, I can't see most of the eggs to get an estimate of size, but I can see a nice cluster at the bottom.
Papa seems to be doing a good job with them. I can see him wiggle around regularly.

Here is mama.

And the proud papa.

The eggs on day one. They must have still been spawning, or just finished, as those are mamas yellow fins sticking out.

And here are the eggs today, on Day 2.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
can you keep the BN's in the same tank or will the male keep harrassing the female if shes not ready to mate?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Congrats and great pics!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
can you keep the BN's in the same tank or will the male keep harrassing the female if shes not ready to mate?
They are fine together. It's not like bettas, where you have to remove the female. She isn't allowed back in the spawning place (usually a cave), but he doesn't attack her.

countrychick

Save a horse, ride a cowboy
Feb 2, 2009
somewhere in the sticks
thats neat!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Congrats Bio!! Any updates?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Ahhh, feels good to be back! Luckily, I took a photo DESPITE the blackout.

Here is yesterdays photo.

And here are some photos for today.

And here is Mama, keeping watch over Papa, who is down below.

As far as I know, this is the first spawn for both of them, but they are doing great! Papa wouldn't even leave when I was cleaning the gravel near him. He makes it hard to get clear shots, but only because he is so good about fanning his little eggies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store