Question about increasing pH?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
My pH stays at a regular 8.0 but I would like to increase it so that it stays at a regular 8.2-.3 so that it is closer to actual seawater and hopefully therefore better for my inhabitants. Are there any products on the market that are reccommended for the increase I am looking for and that would stay consistant?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Try raising with pure bicarb (baking Soda: mix it in to new water during wc, not directly into tank) and stablize raised pH by stablizing so called alkalinity (so such term in chemistry) using Kalkwasser extract. Should have alkalinity test kit as well.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Yup I've got test kits for everything except copper at the moment. my Alk is actually higher than normal lately.

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
baking soda all by itself will buffer alkalinity and should raise your pH. I would not recommend kalk if you have not done a thorough reading on it. It can spike your pH if you don't know how to mix it properly and how to add it properly.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Baking soda will slightly depress pH, but it will boost alkalinity. The pH of seawater is reasonably variable and what you have is within range of that. In more isolated circumstances, it can be even higher or lower.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Baking soda will slightly depress pH, but it will boost alkalinity. The pH of seawater is reasonably variable and what you have is within range of that. In more isolated circumstances, it can be even higher or lower.
^that. Also you may want to test your pH a few times a day to see the actual range. Morning before lights come on, mid day, and shortly after lights out.

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I meant if he follows the directions for a DIY two part, then adding the baking soda would increase his pH. It didn't really cross my mind that someone would add straight baking soda. I think it's important that a distinction should be made.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
do you have alot of surface aggitation? mine went from 7.8 to 8.3 just by taking off my top glass and pointing my powerheads so they get ALOT of ripples.

mlefessler

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
That's an interesting theory, Jst. I think I might pull a little experiment and try that out!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I do have lots of surface agitation. But I haven't tried taking off the glass tops. I think I'll do a sample of water with the baking soda idea when I do my next water change. This way I don't disrupt anything in my tank but can get an idea of the effects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store