Collecting driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I know a lot of people collect driftwood instead of buying it at the LFS. I was wondering how you tell what kind of wood it is if you collect it? I've got some driftwood I got out of my pond but I imagine most of it is pine, oak, and maybe even pieces of boards, which aren't safe to use.

Lowryder

AC Members
Feb 16, 2010
Dirty Jerzey
You want a hardwood. Softwood will leech pitch for along time and will decompose quicker. Push your nail into it, if it makes an indent, you have soft wood.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I live in rural NH, so I just went tromping in the woods with a hacksaw until i found a big branch from a hardwood that had fallen across a stone wall and was therefore off the ground and fully dried. Poured boiling water over it daily and soaked it for about two weeks. I had minimal tannin leaching once I put it in the tank, but I did get the typical white fluffy (harmless) fungus that took a few weeks to go away.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I don't know enough to promise that any hardwood is okay, but the list of safe woods in this article includes oak.

"I found a piece of pine and want to use that. Is that ok?"
The answer is NO. You should only use hardwoods (oak, maple, ash, elm or hickory) for your aquarium. The sap and pitch in the softwoods can and most likely will create a syrupy mess in your tank. The soft woods will also decay easier than a hardwood. If you have a difficult time telling which type you have I suggest you use the following method. After the piece is dry, take the edge of your fingernail and depress it in to the piece. If it goes in easy then you have softwood. Get yourself another piece.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
The hardwood / softwood is not as simple as how hard the wood actually is.

Balsawood is a hardwood, while there are many species of "softwood" that are harder than many "hardwoods".

Some to avoid are Cedar and pine, which do tend leach various oils, many of which are toxic. Cedar is such a long lasting wood because it contains so many oils that toxic to bacteria, fungus and bugs. But also probably fish.

Walnut is also a risk as it contains Juglone which is toxic to many plants and animals.

BUT most hardwoods are safe, oak should be fine. The older and more weathered the piece is, the safer it will be.

My 55gal has 5 pieces of "wild caught" driftwood in it. I'm not even sure of the species, but I've had no problems.

Ian

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks

Is river or paper birch okay? I think mainly I'll be using silver maple and oak and river/paper birch if its safe :)

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I can attest to aged cedar (I'm talking about stumps that were under water for many years and then in the sun for many more) being OK in a fish tank. I have two pieces that have been in my 46 for 3 years with no ill effects to my fish or plants. The only problem I have with it is my Farlowella is slowly nibbling it away as are the snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store