"Skinny" loach problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
Looking for some guidence on dealling with skinny loaches - I've read that sometimes young clowns suffer from this. Is there anything I can do? 2 of my 7 clowns just aren't gaining any weight. I've watched them eat, but they just aren't gaining weight. The other 5 are fat and happy and all the other fish in the tank are perfectly fine. Here are a couple pics:

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3764.JPG IMG_3767.JPG IMG_3769.JPG IMG_3792.JPG IMG_3797.JPG

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i think you should move him into QT for a week or so til he fattens up. my 2 clowns out competed my other one for food and it died =(

Irish2539

AC Members
Sep 12, 2008
U could try put in zucchini, cucumber or melon.. gives them all a chance to eat. what are u feeding them?

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
I have the exact same problem. Although I had the smaller one in a tank by himself and decided to move him in with the others. He's much happier now, has gained some weight but not allot. He has grown since I got him but just not at the rate as the others. He eats all the time, I tend to overfeed...so I do more water changes. I also feed veg's, live food, pellets etc. every week. I did look up on the computer a picture of a loach with skinny disease and mine doesn't look that bad. Do you actually see him eating? I've taken the wait and see approach for now, not saying that's what you should do but as long as he's active and you're sure he's eating could he just be a runt. I have a molly that's a year old and has never grown more than an inch in size. He's not sick, very active and eats great. I'm hoping the same is true for my little clown loach.

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
I've seen the little guys eat frequently, though certainly not as much as the others.

My loaches are not picky eaters. I feed the tank a mix of flake, small sinking pellets, freeze dried blood worms and shrimp. They also get boiled peas or some blanched spinach once or twice per week.

My QT tank currently has fish in it that are waiting out their time before being placed in the tank. May try to QT these loaches once I can make the switch in a couple weeks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks like "chronic wasting disease" to me, skinny behind the head. If you can get levamisole, sold in feed stores, it's pretty safe & easy to use. It's getting hard to find though. Flubendazole works too or if they're eating well fenbendazole IN FOOD works too.

Here's Shari's article at loaches.comhttp://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

This guy sells all (he's a vet I think) http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

The general idea is to treat it then retreat in ~3 weeks. You may need to use an antibiotic like kanamycin (I think) if you don't see improvement.

I treat all new loaches with levamisole just in case but eventually lost 1 that never seemed as healthy. IMO your fish need medical intervention not just more or better foods. I wouldn't wait.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store