My Cycle is wear

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hcuevas

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
New York
Visit site
Hi,

I started cycling my new tank 11 days ago. And I am pretty confuse about the behavior of my N Cycle because it doesn't seem to be acting as it should be.

Day 1: I started filtering my 30 Gal. tank and doing aeration. No fish yet.
Day 2: I continued with the above process ... plus a dechlorinator
Day 3: I put the starters (7 inches of fish -Danions and Mollies) after acclimatizing them. I added AquariSol (12 drops every 10 gal.) plus 1 tablespoon of AquaPlus (Salt) every 5 Gal. The fish seemed very well. Temperature 76 degrees.
Day 4: During the morning, one of the Danions died. We took it immediately. The rest of the fish seemed pretty well. PH was 7.6, Ammonia 0.5-1.0 p.p.m. and Nitrite 0.25 p.p.m. Temperature 75 degrees.
Day 5: Other Danion died during the morning. Actually the one that seemed the strongest. PH was 7.6, Ammonia 2.0-3.0 p.p.m. (morning) and 4.0-5.0 p.p.m. (evening) and Nitrite 0.5 p.p.m. Temperature 75 degrees. I took the died Danion out and performed a 10% water change (water pre-conditioned 75 degrees, PH Neutral and dechlorinated, plus AquariSol.
Day 6: Another two of the strongest fish in the tank, Mollies, were not eating and seeming very weak, probably dying. Despite efforts to isolate them in fresh water preconditioned, they died few hours later. PH was at 8.0, Ammonia 0.5-1.0 p.p.m. and Nitrite 5.0. I performed another emergency water change 15% of the water.
Day 7 to 9: The rest of the fishes -including the weakest Dunion and Mollies- and two very strong black mollies are doing very well. PH back neutral, Ammonia steady at 0.5-1.0 p.p.m., Nitrite steady at 0.25 p.p.m. Temperature steady at 75 degrees.
Day 10-11: The rest of the fishes are doing very well. The are eating well. PH has been steady at 7.5, Ammonia steady at 0.5-1.0 p.p.m. and Nitrite varying from 0.50 to 2.0 p.p.m. 15% water changes has been made very time Nitrites are over 2.0 p.p.m. I am performing water testing twice per day and trying to keep Nitrites at 0.50 or 1.0 p.p.m.
Day 12: The last Danion is dead. Ammonia is very low 0.5 p.p.m. Nitrites High again 4.0 p.p.m. I did another emergency water change of 20%.

I have two independent filtration systems with activate carbon and two independent aeration systems.

The strange thing to me is that the fish died at very early stages. Too early for me. Also that during the last days, when fish really should be at high stress and dying they seem pretty well. But the strangest thing is why the Ammonia never reached levels over 4.0-5.0 p.p.m. and why Nitrites starting to be present at the very beginning? And even when the Nitrite levels are starting to be the problem, the ammonia keeps steady between 0.5-1.0 p.p.m. It seems that my cycle has been shortened in some way and everything has been rushed. I am not using Cycle or any other bacteria accelerator. I am using an old aquarium that was working with relatives but has been inactive for 2 years. I cleaned the gravel before filling the tank with water. Maybe is this, bacteria were present and still alive in a resistant latency (spores) I don't know.

Am I doing the right things? Do I have to project Ammonia to rise yet or Nitrites are going to be my main concern hereinafter?

Thanks,

Hernan

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
This is why experienced hobbyists recommend a fishless cycle. In the year 2004, nobody should need to fish-cycle their aquarium, it's just too stressful on the fish and biological system.

The fish died about on time...on time meaning when other fish would die. They can only take so much ammonia before they die in their own toxic waste. I'm so sorry your poor fish had to experience such a sort life. :(

The cycle seemed to be working fine, but if your fish all die and none are left then everything will restart...everything. You need to do a fishless cycle with ammonia. There should be no fish added during a fishless cycle.

hcuevas

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
New York
Visit site
Thanks Cory

Cory,

Yes, I'm afraid I did a big mistake and the poor fish paid for it. I knew about the fishless cycle when surfing the Internet looking for more info and help. The double the embarrasement considering I studied Vet for three years. The people from the store didn't help either, they recommended to place fish at once.

Thanks and I'm going to let you know of further advances and failures.

Thanks,

Hernan

hcuevas

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
New York
Visit site
Better news

Finally my ammonia has been stabilized in zero for two days and Nitrites are slowly going down. Now, they are at 1.0 p.p.m. The cycle seems to be stabilizing some way.

Alainuws

AC Members
Dec 19, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
IMO, Your water changes are keeping your amonia and nitrites under controle, your aquarium is probably not close to be cycled yet.

Keep on testing your nitrites and keep them low with water changes until your aquarium can handle them on it`s own.
I am not saying to check your amonia since you have at least 1 parameter not right, you need to make water changes anyway.

I try to avoid using chemical in my aquariums as much as possible.
So for water change i would suggests you get a few buckets and just let the water rest for 24 hours in them. You might have a few buckets lying arround for about the next few weeks, and put some cheap water heaters too if you want the water in the buckets to be at the right temperature.

Don`t use hotwater from your tap, hotwater tanks can add stuff in the water, use only the cold water.

hcuevas

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
New York
Visit site
Thanks Alainuws

Thanks for your help. I have one more question:

I have always learned that I should feed my fish with the amount they are able to eat within 3-5 min. Some papers recommend once, twice either three meals per day. Though there is pretty specific information in other matters, feeding is the exception. Is there any rule as number of flakes or weight per inches of fish? I mean something more specific than the above and not having to look at bottom waste to know if it was too much or my desperate fish to realize is too little.

EvanH

AC Members
Dec 25, 2003
Visit site
Disclaimer: I'm a hardcore newbie, so dont' take anything I say seriously...

I think when everyone talks about cyclying with fish, they're trying too hard. I've read a lot of posts on here, and almost decided to do a fishless cycle, but I went for it anyway.

I have a 44 gallon hexagon tank, w/ an AquaClear 300. I filled her up, let it run for about 24 hours.. then headed out to the LFS. I picked up 3 black finned tetras, and 2 beunos aries tetras. I let them run around for about a week.. feeding every other day. didn't do a water change till about a week in, at which point i just syphoned water out (not a vacume). Then I had to add 2 giant danios because one of the Aries was tormenting the others, and the LFS lady said that a danio might chill him out (which it did!) .

I just let the tank be for a few weeks.. did a water change a week, started vacumming at 3 weeks. By the 4th week, I had my water tested, and it was perfect. Not for a moment during this time did the fish seem distressed, or upset, or anything other then fine.

I just thought I would share a non-tramatic cycle story... My (most likely wrong) advice - if cycling w/ fish, just let nature do its thing .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store