Vivarium Suggestion!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aminal

AC Members
Apr 30, 2010
Hi guys, I'm looking for some suggestions.

I'll be getting rid of my alligator peanut soon, getting to big for his home.

First of all I'm an avid animal keeper, with several tanks set up ranging from fish, 18" large soft shell (had him for 13 years), fish, bred beardies for awhile. Also not the kinda guy that buys animals becuase their cute without any research. Unfortunately the only info I can find is for beginners anoles, fire bellies, newts, ect.

I built a 50/50 vivarium with water fall filter from an old jewelry case

(the blue center divider has been replaced with glass at an angle to give a better water viewing)
Demensions are 6'x20"x24"

(Filter Fall close up)

(Planted dry side)

(peanut when he was small and cute)

If any one can recommend some community vivarium critters that are a little more then the average "beginner". I'm not a fan of anoles. I would be interested in a Jackson Chameleon maybe. can they be housed with fire bellies and geckos.

thanks for any suggestions or advise you may have.

_IGP2984.JPG

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
What are you leaning toward? Lizards, frogs, what? From the looks of that it would be a great setup for semi-aquatic turtles like South American Wood Turtles or Chinese Box Turtles.

Aminal

AC Members
Apr 30, 2010
I'm really not sure where I'm leaning, Was hoping to end up with kinda of a community thing. frogs and lizards. But that seems to leave me with Anoles and firebellies.
I'm hoping the Pro's can suggest something I little more rare/exotic.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
its a nice looking setup.. but yeah mixing reptiles isnt really that good of a thing, like lizards and frogs. some one will eat each other unless you keep anoles with Green tree frogs. Now that would make a nice setup..

kingoftherodeo

Registered Member
May 1, 2010
What about a bearded dragon? That vivarium would be brilliant for them. It's really big which is perfect for an adult beardie? They make lovely pets too. I have two, Louis and Hendrix and they're so tame, they sit out at night and watch tv with me :grinyes:

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
I have heard nothing but bad things about housing beardies together.

What about a chinese water dragon?

Aminal

AC Members
Apr 30, 2010
Hi thanks for all the responses,

It started out as a beardie tank, housing 3 Blood reds for breeding. there's another 24" screened top case that expands it 6 feet by 4 feet.

Beardies work great together as long as theres only 1 male and plenty of space.
Forgot about water dragons tho, Thx :)

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
hows this instead.. get rid of the pond area, make it a smaller water feature, water fall pouring into a gravel pit where there is now real standing deep water and turn this into a huge PAD frog enclosure? now that would really rock.

Aminal

AC Members
Apr 30, 2010
hows this instead.. get rid of the pond area, make it a smaller water feature, water fall pouring into a gravel pit where there is now real standing deep water and turn this into a huge PAD frog enclosure? now that would really rock.
That's funny my wife just decided We're (i'm) doing PDF's, they are very interesting critters.

Figure I can make a deeper then normal false bottom on the water side. So I can build in a stream/very shallow pool, kinda like a pondless water fall.

Thanks for all the help guys,
By far the nicest and most helpfull forums I've found yet. :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store