Decorating A FOWLR Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sneakerpimp7

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
I'm looking for ways to decorate a FOWLR aquarium.

What are things you can put in the tank besides live rock?

What organisms can you grow without powerful coral lighting?

What are attractive/useful marine plants and algae?

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
for most marine algae you are going to need some decent lights. you could however get non-photosynthetic corals such as sun corals. they will require feeding however.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
As Markushka mentioned, NP corals would be a nice addition assuming your fish aren't coral munchers. These corals need no light at all but will need to be fed thereby having the potential to increase nutient levels in your system. If you have a decent skimmer and are on tope of your tank, its not as bad as it sounds.

There are some really nice macos out there as well. These are going to need light but the light demand will vary depending on the height of your tank and the species.

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

What type of light fixture do you have?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
What kind of fish?

Have you ever seen cerianthus. As long as no one will tap on the glass (poisonous when spooked fish get stung by it), i did not have any issues as they obtained needed food from food meant for fish. Sea pen is another option plus zoos and paly. Even star polyps under 10K + act flo bulbs.

As others mentioned, some depends on tank height, type of lighting and of course, type of fish kept.

Any macro should do also. Although difficulties varies depending on species, spnge might be another option as long as no large angels are tank mates.

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
tube nems are good as cerianthus mentioned, and feather dusters are a good option. you could look into sea apples, they are nice looking but are poisonous and could destroy a tank if they die.

Most macros will require decent lighting with a significant photoperiod (8-10hrs a day) but you could use CF and a clamp on fixture for them. Zoas and palys also require good light, and for them you'd probably want T5s.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I would avoid sea pens under the vast majority of circumstances. Species vary on food preferences and they also require very specialized habitat. That's above and beyond the actual amount of food necessary to keep one properly fed.

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
I quite agree with amphiprion on the sea pen, i'd meant to put it in my prior post. in additon sea pens need a deep muddy sand bed, much deeper than what is feasible in most tanks.

sneakerpimp7

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
What kind of fish?

Have you ever seen cerianthus. As long as no one will tap on the glass (poisonous when spooked fish get stung by it), i did not have any issues as they obtained needed food from food meant for fish. Sea pen is another option plus zoos and paly. Even star polyps under 10K + act flo bulbs.

As others mentioned, some depends on tank height, type of lighting and of course, type of fish kept.

Any macro should do also. Although difficulties varies depending on species, spnge might be another option as long as no large angels are tank mates.
the tank is 6' x 24" x24"

What are zoos and paly?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I quite agree with amphiprion on the sea pen, i'd meant to put it in my prior post. in additon sea pens need a deep muddy sand bed, much deeper than what is feasible in most tanks.
Yup. All of which is very unfortunate, since they are extremely cool animals. I've only ever seen the ones that come in on some shipments (that never need to be there) and they are truly amazing. One of the things that will hopefully prove possible as advancements press onward.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store