bristle worms & other hitch hikers!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
so I've read these come naturally in live rock as hitchhikers. but one can't readily see them in your tank. not till I took all my live rock out (to try to find som missing fish, another story another post) I examined each piece & found a slew of hitchers, sorry no pics, camera fone not clear enough.

1. bristle worms of all sizes, some long fat, some babies, one really long thinner one but not so fuzzy legged, more like centipede like but still same red color. I must hae plucked a dozen or more from the rocks. + swishing up the substrate more were rooted out. kept them all in a plastic cup but all have died in their own waste. serves them right! but I'm sure I will have more in the tank/substrate.

2. snail like sticky substances not moving but thin like shell, one really black, couple dark gray. one looked like a mussel shell

3. grayish shrimpettes

4. hard tubular things

5. white spongey cottony like ball with segments under the surface & a hole like spout, the segments have become more notably pronounced. any clues here anyone?

6. a mushroom

7. a feather duster

8. aiptasia

9. long stringy mucous like substance which hangs from rock with substrate stuck to it. any clues here anyone?

10. a brownish rubbery like upside down shaped thimble like or upside down shaped baby bottle rubber nipple or shaped like an ice cream cone with the top a round like rubberband. best I can describe this newly popped up on my live rock, any clues here anyone?

so this is all I could see/find but as you can tell I don't know what 1/2 of them are.

any help in identifying would be appreciated. thks all

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Pics would be good. Short of that, I'd say you have a nice array of things, ranging from amphipods, bristleworms, (probably) vermetids, sponges, and who knows what else. :D

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
1. bristle worms of all sizes

4. hard tubular things

5. white spongey cottony like ball with segments under the surface & a hole like spout, the segments have become more notably pronounced. any clues here anyone?

7. a feather duster

any help in identifying would be appreciated. thks all
I've found these as hitchhikers in my tank as well. I was happy with the feather dusters and removed as many of the bristle worms as I found. 4 & 5 I think i know what you are talking about in terms of having seen similar things, but not sure what they are. if there is any way you can post photos (borrow a friends camera/soemthing) it would help!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You really should have let the worms be. They are very benefcial to your tank and can get deep into the rocks to clean where other creatures can't. Without pics it's tough to tell what exactly you have but from your list the aptasia is the only undesireable hitchhiker.

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
You really should have let the worms be. They are very benefcial to your tank and can get deep into the rocks to clean where other creatures can't. Without pics it's tough to tell what exactly you have but from your list the aptasia is the only undesireable hitchhiker.
+1000!

that was a useless massacre of very beneficial organisms! bristle worms although they look ugly are the best part of our clean up crews! they should be kept in check occasionally, but not massacred.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
well, I was told by 2 diff. LFS spots that bristle worms were a nuisance & to remove if I could. my bad.

but I am sure there are more in my tank as the stirring of the gravel did uproot quite a few worms. now I know better. thks.

as for pics, will attempt to use a real camera soon. now I'm battling Ich break out. will research other posts for assistance.

thks again

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I found 50/50 conflicting sources on Bristleworms. I think this is often a confusing subject. Maybe we can get a pros/cons list going to help establish some facts on them?

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
Pros :
Are capable of getting into crevices that other organisms cannot
Are great scavengers
Aerate substrate

Cons:
can multiply fast (due to abundant food = you're overfeeding)
Can grow quite large (due to above, can become a threat to small fish and soft coral)
f'n creepy looking and painful to touch

Fireworms however are bad, and should be removed asap

This is a good article.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Pros :
Are capable of getting into crevices that other organisms cannot
Are great scavengers
Aerate substrate

Cons:
can multiply fast (due to abundant food = you're overfeeding)
Can grow quite large (due to above, can become a threat to small fish and soft coral)
f'n creepy looking and painful to touch

Fireworms however are bad, and should be removed asap

This is a good article.
Thank you!!!

Eww! I'm glad I removed mine I think they were the fireworm type as they were a darker color (more reddish)! Also glad I have a chubby wrasse to handle some of them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store