FREE algae gel food mix samples - NH - $0.00 shipped

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Yep, the title is correct. I'm offering some completely free samples of my algae gel mix, which you can read about in my sale thread. This is a gauging interest / market research thing. I need guinea pigs! :)

You get: 1 TBS of either mix #1 (regular) or mix #2 (with calcium), which will make about 1/4 cup of food. I have 8 samples of each mix to give away.

_MG_3875_sm.jpg
(Regular mix on the left, mix with calcium on the right. This is just to show texture, color, etc., not the volume of the sample.)

THE CATCH:

1) You must have a genuine interest in evaluating the mix. Sorry, but I can't afford to ship samples to people who aren't even considering a future purchase. You are not under any obligation to by anything, you just need to honestly consider it.

2) You also must promise to let me know how it goes, and post your experience (good or bad) in a review thread that I will start. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

If you are interested, please post on this thread (not PM):

1) which mix you want (If you are interested in both mixes, you are welcome to say so, but I will only send one sample to each person, so which one you get will be a toss-up.)

2) what critter(s) you would be feeding it to (just because I'm curious).

If I have more requests than samples, I'll go by length of AC membership, post count, and whether you've been nice to me. (Hey, I'm human. ;) ) I will PM the recipients to get mailing addresses.

I'll collect "entries" for at least a day or two and probably mail out next week.

For the brave souls who already ordered from the other thread and missed out on the sample give-away, if you order again I'll throw in a little extra. :)

_MG_3875_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

afishpond

AC Members
Dec 4, 2009
do you think this could be use to make green water for fry's / if so i have some that will be come ing out soon

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Well, since the last time I decided to be a guinea pig went so well..

1. Calcium
2. Some 20-odd species of snails, but some fish and shrimp would likely get there first

If this works well, I might buy some in the future. Or, I might just buy the ingredients and do it myself. And then sell them too. You don't know me. I sound like such a good candidate.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
do you think this could be use to make green water for fry's / if so i have some that will be come ing out soon
This mix is for making a jello-type fish food. It does contain dried algae powder, but I don't see how it would help to make "green water," which is free-floating, live algae. Sorry.

Well, since the last time I decided to be a guinea pig went so well..
Hmmm, sounds like a story there. Spill! ;)

If this works well, I might buy some in the future.
Awesome.

Or, I might just buy the ingredients and do it myself.
I'm cool with that. In the other thread, I list where I bought the stuff. Not trying to keep any secrets or claim any special insight. Just selling convenience. :)

And then sell them too.
Umm.... that's a joke, right?

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
I like to try some for my shrimp. But what was it intended to feed? Also does it contain any copper?

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Hmmm, sounds like a story there. Spill! ;)
No story here. I needed an aquarium stand. A brand new one was released to the market. Asked around, no reviews. Bought it anyways. It ended up being really good.

Umm.... that's a joke, right?
Yeah. I don't really like being a competing seller with people I know, even if it's from a forum. Can't count the times I've held stuff off eBay/Aquabid when my friends are selling the same thing. Ironically, I have no problem throwing them on a bus to Boston when they're drunk and passed out. Now there's a story.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I like to try some for my shrimp. But what was it intended to feed? Also does it contain any copper?
I initially made it for my otos and plecos (regular mix) and my turtle (calcium mix). The only ingredients are:

agar
spirulina
spinach
calcium citrate (mix #2 only)

There are no fillers or additives in the ingredients that I purchase, and I don't put anything else in the mix. It's easy to add other things---that's what's great about it---but I leave that up to you.

Some quick searching suggests that spinach and spirulina both have naturally occurring trace amounts of copper, however I also found several references to using both as food for invertebrates. I am certainly no expert, and leave it to you to make your own decision about the safety of this mix for your animals. I will say that MsJinkzd ordered some of the calcium mix to try, and though she did not specify what she would be feeding it to, I am guessing it is for shrimp or snails or both.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
i would happily try the calcium mix, and i'd give that to my tank with harlequin rasboras, khuli loaches, and easily more than 100, if not 150, snails- MTS, ponds, and a few rams... i'd give it to the turtle tank for the snails and for his own calcium needs, but spinach can be toxic to turtles, sooooo..... >.>

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Nice offer! I wish I could take you up on it, but I don't suppose it's fair to squawk for a free sample when I don't yet have the fish to feed it to. (Tank set-up/cycling in progress, who knows when I'll ever have otos. *sigh*)

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
spinach can be toxic to turtles
I assume you're referring to the oxalic acid content, because oxalic acid interferes with calcium absorption. You're right that it shouldn't be a sole or primary food source for turtles, but I think it's okay in moderation. You should do whatever you feel is best for your animals, of course.

I should clarify that I feed my turtle a variety of foods. This mix is certainly not the only thing she eats.

Since you mention it, though, I could certainly make a version sans spinach. Replacing the spinach with more spirulina would be expensive, but maybe there is some other vegetable that would work that I can get in powdered form. I'll look into it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store