Please help with parasite identification and fish cure

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scubabr53

Not so Junior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Today I discovered that my Red Sea Convict Tang has some kind of extension (worm like) grow out from his belly. I cannot put medication in to the tank because it is a mix fish and reef tank. Copper will kill everything else beside the fish. Should I try to catch the fish and give it a fresh water bath? will this kill the parasite? I am not sure what to do, please advise. :help:

Check thr pictures.

IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0896_1.jpg IMG_0893.JPG

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
I would see if I could catch easily and treat, or maybe some kind of cleaner fish or shrimp?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Similar to that, actually. It is most likely a parasitic copepod. I've only come across them a few times, but copper treatment (specifically Cupramine from Seachem) seems to be pretty effective. Could also be a marine leech, in which case something like praziquantel would be most effective and arguably safer. Edit: I suppose copper would actually kill both particular issues, but only use Cupramine if you go this route.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Try catching fish at night.

Using tweezer, pulled it off gently and keep the parasite in small glass specimen jar where you can try out different med.

Try examining it using microscope or magnifying glass to determinewhat it is beofore using med.

scubabr53

Not so Junior Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Cerianthus, I did follow your advice. I tricked the fish with food and cot it in the large net. Holding it half submerged in the tank I asked my wife to grab the worm with tweezers and gently pull it out. The operation went without the glitch, she pulled the worm out and the part inside was four time longer then the part sticking out. The fish was not stressed at all, more likely it was happy and went for food that I offered right after “surgery”.
Thanks for advice and if anyone needs fish surgery done please contact me.
I have the experience now.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i declare that your wife is a keeper! lol. anyone willing to pull a worm out of a fish's tummy like that deserves a big kudos!

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I was just going to say the same - your wife is awfully brave. I would still examine it and see what kills it since you never know if they might come back.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Cerianthus, I did follow your advice. I tricked the fish with food and cot it in the large net. Holding it half submerged in the tank I asked my wife to grab the worm with tweezers and gently pull it out. The operation went without the glitch, she pulled the worm out and the part inside was four time longer then the part sticking out. The fish was not stressed at all, more likely it was happy and went for food that I offered right after “surgery”.
Thanks for advice and if anyone needs fish surgery done please contact me.
I have the experience now.

Glad to hear all went well!

Are you positive it is a worm? Were you able to ID the worm?

Did you happen to take pics of worm? or preserve in Formaldehyde for further studies/analysis?

How about small lesion on the skin where worm came out? Keep an eye on it to make sure nothing else happen!
Hope all goes well again

btw, Any reasons for waiting so long to perform surgery?

!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store