Lighting Fixtures for your Malawi Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtowncich

AC Members
May 6, 2010
So what kind of lighting is everyone using on their various Malawi tanks?

I have a 135g and am using two 96W CF bulbs. Both of them are the 50/50 variety, with half the bulb at 6700K daylight and the other half at (420nm?) actinic blue.

It's the first and only bulbs I've used on this tank and also the first time I've flirted with the actinic blue hue.

When I first set it up, I remember thinking it was really weird looking and bugged me out, but obviously, I've gotten used to it, and now can't even imagine what it'd look like without the actinic blue hue mixed in.

Does anyone have pictures of their tank(s) under different lighting spectrums/hues? I'd love to buy them all and try them out, but at $80+ a pair for 36" CF bulbs, it's quite an expensive experiment.

Thanks!

Colin

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I have a 4 foot strip light over my 80 gallon. It holds 1 50/50 bulb and one daylight bulb. I like the combo but I think when the daylight bulb goes out I'll add another 50/50. I love the way it brings the blues out. When I got the 50/50 bulb I did just what you said. Ibought a bunch of bulbs I thought would look nice and tried them all out. I returned them all the next day and ordered the one I liked online since it wad cheaper.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
All of mine are 50/50 CF lights.. Wouldn't have it any other way..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I agree, 50/50 bulbs are the best choice for Malawi tanks, IMO.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
if use a colral life double T-5 fixture, and i use one daylight and one actinic bulb and man o man does it look just stunning, all tho i have all tangs so they all have these blue specks in them but it would look great on a malawi tank

jack straw

AC Members
May 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have a 6ft tank, with a single 48" strip light with a 50/50 bulb. I switched from straight daylight bulb and really enjoy the difference. Although I do not like the 50/50 bulb as much as my old 'All Glass' bulb. They have a really nice purple color similar to the effect of 50/50 but it seems deeper to me.

I think I will be going with 'All Glass' bulbs as long as I am using old style strip lights and 50/50s for an CF I use, as I don't believe 'All Glass' bulbs are available for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store