True Seawater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
Does anyone here use seawater taken direct from the ocean for there FOWLR?
I am thinking of going back to saltwater but one of the main reasons I got out of it was having to use ro water and mixing salt when I was living in NY inland. I now live near the ocean in SC and have plenty of nice clean water I could use!

Markushka

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
NW New Jersey
It's better not to take sea water right near shore. you want to go a bit off shore so there are less pollutants and other nasties. you're also going to get a lot of floating HH and phyto & zooplankton. might get some interesting stuff.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I did use natural saltwater from LI South shores. Always conditioned it with filters, PS and UV in reserve before using on fish from Indo Pacific/Red Sea in order to eliminate possible local pathogens that my stocks may not be used to.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I live on the Eastern shoreline and I would never use the water here for anything other than baitfish. There is too much industrial pollution and run-off to use it safely no matter how "clean" it looks. We constantly have beach closings due to medical and industrial waste fouling the water and beachheads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store