Marine Ich! NO NO NO!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I don't know how it got in my tank exactly, but 3 of my fish had small onset of ich (a few white spots on their fins, not many). I know that it can quickly get out of hand so I wanted to take care of it before it reached disasterous levels.

I had to completely tear down my tank and remove all my fish to QT tanks for Cu treatment. I couldnt treat the display because I have inverts and coral. I managed to divide them up into 2 different tanks. Sadly the QT tanks aren't as big as I'd like for this sort of thing, as their purpose is to help me catch things like this before they make it into the display (i failed). Luckily none of my fish are full grown, so this helps the situation slightly. All between 1-4 inches (only the mandarin dragonet is 4 inches, others all smaller).

So here's the QT setup - 10 gallon, mandarin (yes he eats frozen and live brine shrimp, so i'm hoping this ties him over during QT until i can return him to his ample supply of pods in the display), firefish, small clown.

15 gallon long - 1 inch yellow tang, 1 inch sixline wrasse, royal gamma (little over an inch).

I hate that they are in so small of area because I didn't catch the ich before it got to my display. I plan on doing small daily water changes to hopefully limit some of the stress.

From what I've read I have to keep them in QT for a month for the Copper treatment to fully work on them and to give the display tank time to be cleansed of any of the free swimming ich cycle. Water temps are all at 78-80 degrees.

Is this an acurate/safe amount of time? Will my babies be ok for that long of a time in such tight quarters??

I feel terrible :cry:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The copper treatment method usually only requires 2-3 weeks (4 would be pushing it). What does take time is the subsequent quarantine time, which should last for at least 4-6 weeks. As far as them being okay, you need to test diligently, perform water changes when necessary, and keep copper concentrations at recommended levels.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
What do you mean by subsequent quarantine time? Just the amount of time after treatment is over to keep an eye on them for returning symtoms? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can, test kits at the ready, to ensure their long term health. The Cu treatment I got says it stays in the water for a month, and to add more only when doing water changes.

After 2-3 weeks should I stop replacing the Cu in the water when I do my water changes? Then just keep an eye on them for the next 4-6 weeks?

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
I don't have anything to add but I'm curious. did you happen to see any spots on the mandarin? The reason I ask is that I had heard they are nearly immune to ich due to thier thick slime coat. Sorry to hijack, just curious if that was one of the fish you saw the spots on.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Nope, I saw zero spots on the Mandarin. But I put him in QT because I heard the only way to rid the display tank of Ich was to remove ALL fish. He's spot free. The Ich getters were the royal gamma, the wrasse, and the firefish. The yellow tand was surprisingly Ich free as well. But I heard without treatment it was possible for the condition to worsen to such a degree that it infects even the healthy fish.

So far so good in the QT tanks. The infected fish have stopped rubbing on things (I put some fake non-porus decor in for them to hide) and now I only see a few spots on the royal gamma. Treatment with Coppersafe has been 3 days so far. I'm going to continue treatment for the reccommended period even after all signs are gone, to ensure their health.

I'm mostly worried about making sure it's out of the now-fishless display tank before I put them back in. And making sure I keep them in QT long enough to observe whether they are really ok or not.

MGDMIRAGE

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Fish expert Lee Birch recommends no shorter than 8 weeks fish less(fallow) in the display for all the parasites to die off completely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store