OhNo123's Betta Breeding Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
I've been interested in Bettas since I entered this hobby around 3 years ago. Breeding Bettas was one of the first things that I was interested in. However, I never got the chance to do so. Recently, I've gotten back into the fish hobby after months of neglect and entered a newly opened Petco around my area. As soon as I walked in, the Betta section was directly infront of me. I walked over, and examined all the Bettas. Petco offers Halfmoon Bettas, Delta Bettas, Crowntail Bettas, Halfmoon Plakats, King Bettas, and Halfmoon Double Tails Bettas. I decided to get a Halfmoon as I've always been a sucker for long fins.

The Betta's picture can be seen below. He currently lives in a 4.5g filtered tank. The leaves are Indian Almond leaves.

That was two weeks ago.

This past week, I bought 3 Halfmoon Betta females. Though none of their colors are remotely close to the Male's, I'm still going to choose one and try to breed them.

That was two weeks ago.

Today, I traded my friend a 20g High tank that has been laying in my basement for the past 2 years and a 2.5g with a light strip. I also gave him roughly 15lbs of black gravel and some Goldfish flakes I had laying around. In return, he drove me to Petco and bought me a 6.6g Bookshelf tank. It has a nice footprint (roughly 24” x 9” x 10") which isn't too tall for Betta breeding.

Pictures of the females and 6.6g bookshelf tank setup will be posted either tomorrow or Saturday whenever I have time.

IMG_6222.jpg IMG_6219.jpg

halofishboy

AC Members
Jul 21, 2007
good luck with breeding bettas, breeding fish is a really rewarding experience!

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
So the weekend update is here.

I put the male into the 6.6g friday evening. Same tank water and everything. I just added a little more water and an additional Indian Almond leaf.

The female was put in tonight. The male has been circling her container for the past hour. He shows off to her for about 2 minutes then goes underneath the leaf and begins to build a nest. 2 minutes after, he goes to check on the female.

The picture of the 3 females are located below. The blue one kept moving so it was a challenge to even that get shot.
There is also a picture of the breeding tank and the male building his nest.

IMG_6242.jpg IMG_6254.jpg IMG_6248.jpg IMG_6249.jpg IMG_6251.jpg

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
That is a beautiful male; very unique color!

Please keep us posted on your project, and good luck.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
Did you release him yet? Interesting product by the way :)

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
Yup, I released the female yesterday night. The male's bubble nest is not sticking together though. He's been trying, but it keep popping. I just switched out the heater because the 10w heater didn't seem to do a good job heating the tank. I also closed the windows in the room because I read that humidity affects the life of a betta's bubble nest.

Besides that, the female occasionally checks on the bubble and if she isn't satisfied, she flees and the male pursuits. After the male loses site of her, he returns to rebuild his nest.

Hopefully the nest is sticking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store