Ich! Decimates my entire SW collection!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
I had ordered quite a few fish from petsolutions.com

some background, I purchased an established SW tank with some beautiful angels but another story on their tragedy, not by ich.

I was left with a 6line wrasse, strawberry pseudochromis, green mandarin, cleaner shrimp, 2 hermit crabs, lots of live rock. had them for 2wks all doing great.

so decided to order. acclimated & tended to their intro & feeding. a couple weren't adapting well so they pass on. but soon after one of them develops ich. it dies. then the next one & so on & so on.

I treat with old quick cure for 5days, seems to work.

but ich comes back with a vengeance & starts to spread like wildfire. they die off one per day.

but its all the new fish that die off. not till the last new fish dies does ich start on the original inhabitants. I treat with Rid Ich+ but to no avail.

strange that my only survivors are the shrimp hemit crab & 2 peppermint shrimps & oh yes, the 6line wrasse which I isolated in a breeders net, funny thing it survives I guess ich can't reach it!

so to conclude, this was an expensive lesson. at least I had petsolutions 14day gtee so loss 3fish out of pocket.

still treating my no fish less tank (save for the 6line wrasse still in the breeders net)

Q? hoping my treatments will take care of the ich since no hosts around (or will it attack my shrimps/crab)?

I now have rid ich+ coppersafe & quickcure, tho all come with warning not to use on live rock or shrimps.

what say u on best marine ich meds?

thx, still hurtin but looking forward to ordering again.

Hernandezj11

AC Members
Dec 2, 2009
Sorry for you loss...I have def gone done this path before myself, I feel your pain :(... But are you quarantining them and how many did you order at a time?

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I'm currently in a marine ich situation myself. I haven't had any losses yet though. I put my fish in 2 different quarentine tanks and have been treating with coppersafe. Bare bottom tanks with non-porus hiding decorations. Live rock and sand can absorb the copper and release it causing levels to spike which can kill your fish. copper treatments are likely to kill your inverts such as shrimp. It can also kill off pods that your fish eat.

ich stays in the system longer than just after the white spots first disappear. i've been told to treat the QT's for 2-3 weeks and then an additional few weeks to observe the fish for health and to allow the ich to die off in the main tank. if you don't treat long enough, the ich can remain in the system and it multiplies by the hundreds in its non-fish associated life-stage. Stress often triggers or worsens the problems.

Best advice is to treat outside of the display tank with proper dosage for the full length of time. Prevention is also something I've had to learn. Introduce less fish at a time and quarentine them in a separate tank from your display for a month before you add them so you can observe if they have any problems.

I'm sorry for your losses and you have my empathy. My poor fish are in quarentine for a while longer yet :(

Edit: I forgot to add that I'm treating with chelated copper.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
is coppersafe ok then?

I ordered 8 fish, didn't QT, didn't have a separate set up as such.

next time will place them all in barebottom tank with non porous decor.

maine ich I think is a lot more deadly than FW.

Thks for your empathies.

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Yes in my experience Marine Ich is much more difficult to treat because of all the variables (live rock, sand, inverts, etc). So far I'm having great results with Coppersafe in my QT. The spots are gone already but my poor fish don't get to go back home (to the display tank) for another month or so. This way all the free swimming Ich gets killed and I know for sure that my system is clean. I use a copper test kit designed to test for the type of copper I am using to ensure that I'm using the right amount.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Try Cupramine in place of CopperSafe, if possible. I've found the former to be much more forgiving in terms of sensitivity or mis-dosing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store