new BRACKISH tank..need info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tim watson

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
sydney, aus
hey hey everybody.
just today i have decided to turn my 10 gallon fresh into a brackish tank, as i just love them bumblebee gobys. i know already that i have to put 1 tea spoon of rock salt to every gallon of water. does my tank have to have some kind of special filtration for brackish water? are live brine shrimp the best thing to feed the gobys? what else could go in the tank along woth the gobys?? what plant can live in brack water? how many bumblebees should i have in the tank??
thanks for any info and answers,
TIM

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
alright, first off, a certain number of tablespoons per gallon might work for a little while, but you should get a little more scientific than that...you need to add enough salt to get your desired specific gravity (way to measure salinity)

I would just go get a 3 dollar hydrometer and use that to measure...the gobies I've been in contact with usually do fine around 1.008

and with a 10, I'm not really sure how many you can have because I'm not familiar with their territorial-ness (not a word, but oh well)

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
You could add a pair of knight gobies. They're pretty fish & easy/interesting to breed. Hard to distinguish the sexes though.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Also, marine salt is much better than rock salt. There are no extra filter requirements for BW. That is unless you have puffers, which are very messy eaters & hard to fit in a 10 gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store