30 gallon Stocking List?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Randyp79

Registered Member
May 11, 2010
So, this is my first go 'round with a SW tank. With the help of this forum and some local friends I have learned a lot and I think I am ready to start stocking. Thus far, I have live sand, 50lbs. of live rock, and tank has already cycled. I think I am ready to start adding fish, let me know what you guys think of this stocking list with regards to compatability and order of introduction. I have listed the fish in no specific order, I want help on order of introduction.

-Yellowtail Damsel
- Six-line Wrasse
-2 Percula Clowns
-Lemon Peel Angelfish

Five total fish and about 20 total inches of fish when they are all full grown.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I would add the damsel and angelfish last, as I think they'd be more aggressive.
I would do the pair of clowns, then a couple of weeks later the 6line and the damsel, then the angelfish.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Agree with fishiefishie but that is an ambitious and agressive stock list for a 30g IMO. Your going to have a fair bioload going there so you will need a quality skimmer and/or frequent water changes. The lemonpeel will get a bit big for your tank and if you want corals eventually, the LP will likely nip/munch them.

In addition, all of those fish will share the same territory (water column) in your tank. Have you given any thought to a bottom dweller/rock hopper type fish like a goby or small blenny?

How about?:
Clown pair
Wrasse (maybe something more peaceful like a McCoskers)
Tail spot blenny
Watchmen type goby (yellow WM, orange spot, yasha, etc.). Could even pair one of these up with a pistol shrimp.

Just a suggestion.

fishiefishie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
I actually think Greech has a great idea. If you really want an angelfish (despite the tendency for it to nip at corals), try a smaller one -- the Coral Beauty is a nice one, as is the Pygmy/Cherub. Great colors.
If you go for a blenny, I second the tailspot.. great fish! The lawnmower is also pretty cool. Not colorful, but fun to watch.
As for a goby, I recommend a clown goby. They are small but very cute, and there are a few color varieties.

TheCanuck

AC Members
May 16, 2010
I would do just a pair of clowns and some snails. Your clowns can get pretty mean towards others. Keep in mind you have a 30 gallon. Thats the minimum for just 2 clowns. I would stick with just them, otherwise WC will be a weekly thing for you.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you reserach your fish selections, the concern is not really space/territory as much as bioload IMO. The clowns will no doubt rule a particular roost in the tank but I see no reason why a tailspot could not be added to inhabit the rocks and a goby for the sand. The clowns should probably go last but IME I have not seen clowns take issues with ne additions that don't invade their space (water column).

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i agree with greech as far as what he listed...the 6-line can be agressive in a tank that size...i just had that proublim with the same type of wrasse in the same sizw tank..but the clowns will be fine and so would more peaceful fish..like gobies..or blennies.but if you still what a y.tail damnsel i would add it very last..cause they can be very aggressive...

TheCanuck

AC Members
May 16, 2010
If you reserach your fish selections, the concern is not really space/territory as much as bioload IMO. The clowns will no doubt rule a particular roost in the tank but I see no reason why a tailspot could not be added to inhabit the rocks and a goby for the sand. The clowns should probably go last but IME I have not seen clowns take issues with ne additions that don't invade their space (water column).
Yea i thought the same thing till i saw a clown run a 55 gallon beating the crap out of a cortez stingray. They are a type of damsel, and false clowns are very aggressive, especially when space is very limited. One also killed my tang, bioload is something to think about, but so is losing fish. A bottom dweller would have the best chance as mentioned, they stay under the radar.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Keep in mind that that particular instance isn't necessarily common, either. A. ocellaris and A. percula are, for the most part, the most peaceful clown species. The pairs that I've had over the years have always been model citizens, except toward other damselfishes. In general, they are usually quite mild mannered. That isn't to say that there aren't the occasional behaviorally aberrant individuals, but those individuals aren't representative of the species as a whole. For instance, I know of a green chromis that killed every single fish added to a tank--including lionfish. Not representative of the species at all, as you may well imagine. I never discount the possibility of rogue individuals, but when a species is relatively well behaved overall, it isn't fair to assume that an individual will be belligerent.

TheCanuck

AC Members
May 16, 2010
Keep in mind that that particular instance isn't necessarily common, either. A. ocellaris and A. percula are, for the most part, the most peaceful clown species. The pairs that I've had over the years have always been model citizens, except toward other damselfishes. In general, they are usually quite mild mannered. That isn't to say that there aren't the occasional behaviorally aberrant individuals, but those individuals aren't representative of the species as a whole. For instance, I know of a green chromis that killed every single fish added to a tank--including lionfish. Not representative of the species at all, as you may well imagine. I never discount the possibility of rogue individuals, but when a species is relatively well behaved overall, it isn't fair to assume that an individual will be belligerent.
True, but for a pair of clowns, in a 30 i wouldn't risk anything else but a bottom dweller. I know clowns are usually behaved, but the % only gets worse as this is a small tank, and he plans on adding a possible mated pair. Good luck with the 30 gallon though! I just think your idea is to have a community tank, which is better off in atleast 55.

BTW the 20in of fish thing means nothing. If that where true you could keep my 5ft green moray in a 60 gallon tank. You take complete volume of the fish, and if done correctly, you are actually overstocked ....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store