Strange spots on green spotted puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I noticed these spots on my GSP today, and I can't for the life of me figure out what they are. Latest additions to the tank are an Atlantic Blue tang (a juvy, 4") that was added about 2 weeks ago after a 4 week quarantine, other tankmates are a pair of tomato clowns and a domino damsel.

The puffer is still eating fine and behaving normally, my first thought was some sort of injury, but it doesn't look like it to me...any ideas? I've moved him to a QT tank for now just for observation.

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG IMG_6446.JPG IMG_6447.JPG IMG_6448.JPG

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
What other fish were in with him? What's the SG of his tank? Start by treating with Melafix & Pimafix for now.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Tankmates are a domino damsel, a pair of tomato clowns and an atlantic blue tang. Tank is kept at 1.026. This guy has been acclimated to full marine for about 9 months now.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Can you get a closer shot of the spots? Are they raised or sunken?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Here's a cropped shot of one of the above, its a little blurry, the spot itself is pretty smooth, but raised a little, almost like a plantar's wart. You have to look at it from head on to see that its raised at all.

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Thanks for the great shot! Almost looks like some sort of parasite. How many of those are there?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I ran this past one of my mentors on TPF:

Some type of protozoan or even bacterial (possibly Rickettsia or similar). I hope it's not this one although it is superficially similar (beware: the name given there is possibly wrong): http://www.plecofanatics.com/articles/showentry.php?e=278. First I'd try to simply boost the immune system by offering a varied vitamin enriched diet.

If it's progressing fast I'd use a hospital tank with some antiprotozoan med (with Malachite Green or Forma-Green) in the highes puffer tolerable dose and an antibiotic such as Maracyn II.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
There are only the three spots pictured. Its in the QT Tank now, I'll try varying its diet a bit and keep a close eye, it doesn't seem to be progressing at all; I'll hold off on medication unless I notice a change for the worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store