Caiman Lizards...info?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
So I have seen this thread:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186803

But I am trying to find out more info on these guys. I tried googling, but most articles seem like stubs without all the information. Does anyone on here own one or two? I see they eat snails, and are very aquatic which is what attracted me to them. I guess I'll throw out my questions and see if anyone knows...

What is the right size tank for them?
Water to land ratio?
Do they just eat snails?
Expected lifespan? (i know this may be a hard one)

Any other info you guys have available would be great. I am looking into moving into a house next year, and really want to do a huge enclosure for these guys...thinking 8x4x4. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

p.s. I do have experience with reptiles, so not a newbie just going after the newest thing

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I'd advise against it.
They're not good pets, they get large, they are are potentially dangerous and people who ignore this type of advice eventually find that they are aslo very difficult to rehome...

As to how large/mean, it depends on the variety.

Let me put it this way - they are more properly referred to as crocodilians than as lizards. Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman (for example) - easily gets to 5ft.

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
Well I am not exactly looking for a cuddly pet. More of a display type animal. I don't plan on re-homing ever, unless extreme circumstances. The house I am going to buy is going to be my permanent home.

As for the large/mean part...I take that as part of the territory with larger reptiles. I'm not downplaying the potential danger, just saying I am prepared for it is all.

To go along with all that, I am trying to get all the info I can so I can design the best enclosure possible to reduce stress and any possible side effects from a bad home.

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
I guess it would help to say I have handled/raised/worked with all the geckos, bearded dragons, garter snakes, ball pythons, turtles(snappers too), some ATBs(those guys are fun), and babysat a BRB for three weeks.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
These animals are pretty much nothing like what you've raised in the past, and not-so-long term, 4x4x8' is far from adequate. I strongly suggest leaving Caimans to zoos.

I've raised house cats, but I do not consider myself prepared to raise tigers. (with all due respect) That's sort of what your inquiry/experience is similar to.

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
While I appreciate your opinion, I still will most likely get a Caiman. That is also why I am starting my research more than a year from the point I plan on getting one. Before I got goldfish, I knew nothing about them...so I started reading and finding out pertinent information.(yes I know goldfish aren't equatible to caimans...it just popped into my head first). I can appreciate your concern, but at least concede that I am trying to find the proper methods to keep one. The 8x4x4 was just some numbers I threw out there. Other than nature(which really has in size limits) even pictures from zoos don't show a very sizable enclosure for the caimans. The house I am looking at getting has a hughe living room/dining room so I could potentially have up to a 3,000 gallon enclosure.

I just want to reiterate that I am not some newbie jumping at the next big thing. I am planning it out, doing my research, and making sure I am capable of caring properly for the animal. So, please if you have any further information to share about the animal itself, then by all means please help.

Thanks,
Adam

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'd advise against it.
They're not good pets, they get large, they are are potentially dangerous and people who ignore this type of advice eventually find that they are aslo very difficult to rehome...

As to how large/mean, it depends on the variety.

Let me put it this way - they are more properly referred to as crocodilians than as lizards. Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman (for example) - easily gets to 5ft.

The op is asking about the Caiman Lizard (Dracaena) not the crocodilian I think you think he's talking about. It's a member of the Teiidae family like Tegus and whiptails.

I've never kept them but there is a guy on MFK who has one or two. Neat lizards but definitely not for beginners.

Dracena1.jpg

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
Yes I am talking about Dracaena. Sorry if that may have mislead you in your advice. Other than volunteering at a zoo, or working my way up buy buying and then reselling other lizards(which I don't feel is right) the only way to get the experince is reading and from others that own them. I don't consider myself a beginer with reptiles, although yes I haven't owned a larger lizard. Hopefully it will put everyone at ease that I am doing the research and finding out every fact i can before starting on an enclosure and then evetually buying the Dracaena

oscartank

Geophagus and severums is my game
Jul 17, 2008
South Wales UK
A zoo closed down in my town and one of the keepers used to live across the road from me. When it closed they couldn't rehome all creatures especially reptiles. He did the obvious rather than watch them be destroyed and rehomed a 10ft boa and the caimen went into his bathrom. It stayed there for 2 years until he could find a suitable home. yes the room was small but he cared best he could and I hear the caimen is still doing well. It was fierce. Be careful and always remember they do bite the hand that feeds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store