White Cloud fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stateoforange

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Hi, Ive had my mountain minnows for about 4, maybe 5 months now and they have produced several batches of fry in the time.

However none of the fry seem to survive more than a couple of weeks at the most, no matter what I try.

I have tried floating breeding traps several times but with no success, they all slowly die off over a fortnight, as do the ones that i just leave in the main tank. Ive tried feeding with crushed flakes as well as store-bought liquid fry food.

The water in my tank is consistently at a pH of 7 and a temperature of 18 celsius (65 fahrenheit), with almost no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates etc, and has been cycled

Ive just found a few new fry clinging to the glass so it looks like theres a new batch just hatched.

What do I do? I dont have the space (or funds) to start a new large tank just for fry.

Any and all suggestion are welcome (and needed).

Cheers

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
What I used to do was just leave the tank alone. Didn't clean it, just some part water changes. The tank was 1/2 full of Java moss and algae. The fry seemed to just live in the moss eating whatever microscopic critters and algae that lived in there. Once they get got bigger they would come out and eat the finely crushed flakes. They were probably 2 weeks old before I usually nioticed them.

I know it sounds weird, but the tank might be too clean?

Ian

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
How long has the tank been up and running? If the tank is new, that may add to what ianab is saying.

stateoforange

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
The tank has been running for almost 5 months now.

Too clean? I didnt think of that lol, perhaps? Although I definitely wouldnt call it sterile it does have some algae on the glass and plants.

As far as I can tell the fry have an ideal environment to grow up in, but they just dont stay alive for some reason.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
the fry need food 24hrs after hactching. So they need microscopic food such as microworms or a bed of java moss that they can eat off of. Get a supply of infusoria for example and feed them for a week or so until they can eat bbs or powered fry food. Goodluck!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
I have my White clouds in tubs outside. Water so green I can't see halfway down and chock full of plants. They're flourishing because (I think) there's so many microscopic stuff for them to nom on down on.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
One thing you can do is grow paramecium for them. This can be done by taking a leaf of green lettuce and crushed it up and adding it to a jar of water in a windowsill. Once it has a cloudy appearance, take a pipette or syringe and suck out some of the liquid. This is a great new fry food and very easy to make. If you hold a flashlight to the liquid, you will see tons of microscopic paramecium spiraling around and it only takes a few days to accomplish.

The other thing it could be is your filtration may be too brisk. My fry did not do very well when I had too much current. What sort of filtration are you using and does the tank have a strong current? If so, y ou may consider bouncing it off the glass to diffuse the current without restricting your filtration.

stateoforange

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Cheers for the suggestions, um the filtration isnt super strong thought there is definitely a current.

Is it possible i fed them the liquid fry food for too long? they had all died before i had even thought to start using crushed flake, they didnt seem to have grown at all...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store