Bearded dragon enclosure questions/advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Getting ready for my new dragon - an adult. I'd like to get one of those high-density polyethylene plastic cages I think, mostly because I don't want an aquarium and I'm not nearly handy enough to make something myself. I've found one that I think looks really nice (expensive though - but then they all seem to be...), but I have some questions.

First, it doesn't have extra ventilation - only the screens for the dome and the screen for the fluorescent strip. Is this okay or is that not nearly enough airflow? (Link to see what I'm talking about is here.)

Second, on that same link you'll see that the fluorescent bulb area, which is of course where I'd put the UVB light, is all the way to the front, whereas the dome area (basking light) is all the way to the back. Is that a problem that the UVB would not be super close to the basking area?

If you have any suggestions for these type of cages, please let me know! I don't even know who their direct competitors are.

Third, is it better to have the basking light and UVB mounted inside the cage (I found one manufacturer who does that) or is it okay outside (like the link from the earlier questions)?

And last - how do I know how strong a bulb (basking) to buy? I keep reading that a regular floodlight is okay (flood, not spot, yes?) - is that true? And best off with a rheostat (dimmer) rather than true thermostat right?, so the light doesn't keep going on and off during the day?

That's it for now - thanks so much ahead of time for any help and guidance - I need to get this enclosure thing worked out really soon - running out of time!

LifelessForm

Papercut Survivor
Sep 8, 2008
Mechanicsburg, Pa
Ok, that cage looks really nice and as long as you get the biggest one ( 60 x 24 x 24), your beardie should be just fine.

The UV does not need to be near the basking light and neither need to be inside the cage, outside above a screen is just fine. I wouldn't recommend using a regular flood light, I don't think it's going to create the amount of heat needed for beardies. They should have a hot side around 100F for basking. Knowing how hot of a bulb to buy is going to be trial and error, I'd start with one around 75W and if it's not enough, move up.

Seeing that that cage doesn't have much air flow, you may want to have some screens custom made to replace the glass doors.

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Thanks Lifeless! Couple followups:
as long as you get the biggest one ( 60 x 24 x 24)
?? I thought the minimum acceptable was 36", so I thought I'd get the 48" which would be plenty of room? No? 5 feet long seems really huge, and while more room is better, of course, I'm not sure I have room (or money) for a 5 foot cage - you're feeling that a 48" inch long cage is too small?
I wouldn't recommend using a regular flood light, I don't think it's going to create the amount of heat needed for beardies.
What kind of light do you suggest? I've seen halogen floods recommended ... thoughts?
Seeing that that cage doesn't have much air flow, you may want to have some screens custom made to replace the glass doors.
So, you don't think the cage as is has enough air flow? And, I know beardies scratch a bunch - won't he absolutely kill a screen door?

Thanks!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Go even warmer. Bearded dragons should have access to a basking temp close to 120 F. I would invest in a digital temp gun or probe to get accurate temperature readings.

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Yes - had planned on a basking site temp of about 110 and digital temp gun etc., thanks!

Most pressing right now is the issue of ventilation in that cage and whether it's adequate or not with the cage as is. Anyone have any further thoughts on this?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've never kept bearded dragons but I do keep Spiny-tailed Monitors and they are kept basically the same exact way. I just have a screen top and they do just fine with it.

lindsey crashed

fish nerd.
Oct 21, 2007
ATX
my opinions are a little different than what's been provided to you so far in this thread.. :) i have been keeping dragons for several years, and have learned through experience and through talking to many different dragon keepers and breeders to find what has worked best for me..

i have posted a link to the caging that i currently use. mine are 48"x22" (floor space) 18" (height). this is PLENTY of room for one adult dragon. a 5 foot cage is not exactly necessary. the exterior is black, interior is white. for some reason, white and heat brings out their brightest colors. i have no idea why, but it never fails. so white interior is the best choice, if you ask me. the cage you've selected is a great cage.. (very light weight, which i love) i have one myself, but do not use it for dragons... you will need more ventilation than what this cage provides, screened holes that will not be covered by light fixtures. the screen that they use will block a lot of the UV that comes from a UV tube. i think it is better if you have atleast the UV mounted inside the tank. the more that gets to your dragon, the better.
also, i feel its best if the uv is as near the basking spot as possible. this is where the dragon will be spending a lot of his day.. like i said, the more uv that gets to him, the better. that's not to say there is no such a thing as too much uv, there is, but that is easily avoidable using common sense. don't place the bulb 4 inches away from the dragon, and you're good.

i personally prefer to use Mercury Vapor Bulbs, MVB's. they are heat and UV combined in one bulb. i've posted the link below, and i absolutely love these bulbs! they are around $50 shipping included, and should be replaced every year to year and a half. but these bulbs are one you don't want to get too close to the dragon. the website explains. :)

when it comes to temperature, i have found that young dragons like temps around 115 - 120 degrees F, but older dragons prefer temps a bit cooler, 100 to 105. this is something i have talked to other keepers/breeders about, and they found the same thing with most their dragons. of course, every animal is different, so it will be something for you to experiment with when you get your dragon. if higher temps cause him to sit with his mouth gaping often, i would cool it down. maybe start with a basking temp of 110, which is exactly what you decided on, and go from there.

i think this is all i have for now.. hope this helps!
good luck with your new dragon!

i buy my cages here... they have 4ft cages, which will be fine. sometimes they offer shipping, sometimes not.

http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-HSalerno/-strse-Cages/Categories.bok

and i buy and recommend MVB's from here... if you read through the site, it tells you what wattage will work for your setup, cage dimensions, etc...

http://www.reptileuv.com/

Last edited:

lindsey crashed

fish nerd.
Oct 21, 2007
ATX
I would invest in a digital temp gun or probe to get accurate temperature readings.
please do this!! they are soo worth it... i have the PE - 1. its perfect.

http://www.tempgun.com/order.html#pe1

So, you don't think the cage as is has enough air flow? And, I know beardies scratch a bunch - won't he absolutely kill a screen door?
right, not enough airflow.. but i bet that material is pretty easy to work with and you could cut your own holes to cover with screen to create more ventilation...
and i'd be afraid myself using screen doors... unless its some pretty tough screen.

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Thanks so much Lindsey! That really helped a lot and makes total sense. The cages are nice - cannot find an answer as to whether they're shipped assembled or not? I also see mention of other colors besides black, but can't find any more about that anywhere. Time is an issue too - I know some of these places take a super long time to get the cage to you.

MVBs... they seem to be controversial, no? Have read some not so great things about them too - safety-wise. But in fairness, I've not looked into it heavily yet! Will read the site you linked to - thank you!

I know acrylic scratches, but was considering (with the original cages I was looking at that don't have enough ventilation) replacing the glass doors with acrylic and having a slew of holes drilled/routed into them to almost make an acrylic screen. <lol> I have a great acrylic place here that does all custom orders and could do it easily - but even with that, you said the way the UVB light would come in is not good on that cage. Hm.

And yes - temp gun for sure. :)

Thanks again - so much. Any more advice or guidance, especially on caging, please feel free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store