10 gallon setup ... sound good?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

R.A.W.

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Deepwater, Missouri
10 gallon planted with small creek substrate and medium sized piece of driftwood. ph neutral

1 male Betta

2 African dwarf frogs

3-5 corydoras catfish

2 otocinclus affinis

BUT will the corydoras be enough to keep the walls and plants free of algae? Or should I go ahead and get the 2 otocinclus?

I know the adfs are bottom feeds as well as the corys so I'll have to monitor their feeding but I don't think it'll be a big problem.

So ... I know for sure about the betta, the corys and the ADF's but what about the otocinclus? Should I leave them out, add them, or will it not make much of a difference?

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Corydoras are not algae eaters so they won't keep the tank walls and plants free of algae. Otos are good algae eaters but most are extremely sensitive due to shipment and some are dying already while in stores. Also, Otos a schooling fish which I'd say probably needs to be around 5-6 Otos. But in such a small tank, the otos will be in competition with algae to eat.

I'd suggest getting some Nerite Snails instead of the Otos.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
A lot of it will depend on the temprament of your betta. I had one that would not allow any tank mates. I had another that got on fine with anything I'd put in there.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Corys arn't really algae eating fish like otos are. I'm sure they nip at it every once in awhile but they don't have the suction mouths like otos. So go ahead and get the oto.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Ottos need 20+ gallon tanks. They need to constantly be eating algae that you probably wont even have. Over 3 corys are too much for a 10 as well, they still don't keep the tank THAT clean, so don't buy them just for that purpose. They also need grazing room. Get 4-6 pygmy cories, a betta, and something else-celestial pearl danios or nano emerald-eye rasboras would be nice.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have to agree that corys are not a good idea for anything smaller than a 20 gallon, unless you are talking about the dwarf species. Even then they are not great cleanup fish...in fact, most fish are not. Every fish you add increases the total bioload (ie. the amount of waste both physical and chemical). Not to mention corys' mouths are not built for consuming algae.

The point about the otos is also good. They require quite a bit of algae to be fully fed and should not be left to fend for themselves. They should be target fed and have their own diet. And they really do best in groups. Even though I've found mine to survive as a single, he still enjoys schooling with my sids and I'm positive he would be happier with more of his own kind. If it weren't for the shoddy oto selection in my area I would most definitely get some more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store