Angel changing color under tank light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
I have an Angelfish that I believe is a Silver Angelfish with black stripes. Under my flourescent tank lighting the stripes seem to fade away and the angel appears as one color. Is this just a reflection from the lighting? I've heard that some Angel stripes fade if they are stressed.

Michael

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Yes, when they're scared, ill, or unhappy with the water conditions, their stripes will fade. You'll also notice, during spawning or at times of aggression, their stripes will become most vivid.

How are your water conditions, have they been tested? What size tank is it? And lastly, what other fish are with him?

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
I have a 36g corner bowfront tank and I added the fish yesterday along with Bio-Spira. At 24 hours, my Ammonia readings read .25, which is a bit concerning. Nitrite readings are zero and GH is 3. My two Angels are also in the tank with six Cardinals which seem very healthy. The stripes re-appear when the lights are off. Should I not keep the lights on for extended periods of time?

Michael

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
this is a new setup? I question this because of the ammonia. I don't think the lighting is the problem, may be because they are new to the tank and perhaps shy. How big are they? But your ammonia level concerns me too as Angels need pristine water in order to thrive.... Did you cycle this tank or is that what you are doing now?

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
I had originally started to fishless cycle my tank with adding ammonia. I then found out about BioSpira and decided to speed the process up with it. Before adding fish and BioSpira, I did an 85% water change. I suspect the Ammonia is left over from the fishless cycling I did earlier. I am cycling the tank now, but with BioSpira, which is supposed to add the nitrifying bacteria in order for fish to thrive in new tanks... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Michael

soko

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
figure if your ammonia was at 5ppm when you were fishless cycling and you take out 85% of the water or 30.6 gallons, you still have 5.4 gallons of water with 5ppm in it, so that figures out to 36 gallons of 1.33ppm ammonia water

oh sorry, thought this was the math forum

/exit

177ichael

AC Members
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
My two Angels are doing great and it appears that my tank is now fully cycled. I'm only reading nitrates and all fish including my Angels seem very happy. I now have 2 Gouramis, 6 Cardinals, 3 Otos, 2 Ghost Shrimp, and an Apple Snail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store