75 stocking!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingken

AC Members
Apr 18, 2010
I'm about to inherit my dad's 75g saltwater tank(trading him my 29 african cichlid tank) and I'm looking for some ideas on what to stock it with. I'm just doing LR and fish, and a cleanup crew. I'm looking for stuff that's relatively peaceful, with great color and personality.
Thanks a lot!
-Ken

TheCanuck

AC Members
May 16, 2010
pair of clowns, dartfish, 3 yellow tangs, goby, wrasse/or blenny, clean up crew, then a more rare tang.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I would limit your tang selection to one for that size tank. The only two species I could recommend are the yellow-eye/kole tang and/or a yellow tang. Even that is slightly pushing things for the yellows. Maybe consider something like dwarf angelfish or cardinalfish in place of more tangs.

TheCanuck

AC Members
May 16, 2010
the yellows would need a bigger tank, eventually. But i have that current stock in my grow out and its amazing :D

kingken

AC Members
Apr 18, 2010
Ok so my dad told me he wants me to keep his rock beauty angel in the tank, and he's gonna keep his damsels in his new one. So I have one rock beauty angel as a fish alone atm. What are some good choices to go with this? I would love a blue hippo tang, maybe a lyretail wrasse, niger trigger, and clowns. Any tips on fish like those I could keep with the angel?

TheCanuck

AC Members
May 16, 2010
well a lot of that depends on if you plan on upgrading in the future. Like Amphiprion said, some may not be good choices if they don't have a good future once they outgrow your tank. That would limit a lot of your choices, if you want to keep your fish for life in your 75.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Three yellow tangs? Like said, there be but a very few choices of tangs for that size of a tank. Still, your some other choices as well to select from, and one of the wider selections be is to house a docile eel with a few choices of fish together, namely one is a tang. Also, you might want to add with a sump idea, 3" pvc under the gravel bed to add for your choice of eel a few other hiding places with the LR you will have as well.

With your pick of fish, a dwarf angelfish most likely a flame angel and another choice to reach a maximum/pushing to the limit is a Niger trigger, only it may add to your pick, a caution warning. But if you should go for part of this idea, an eel with a Niger and yellow tang, perhaps rather then a dwarf angelfish pick, maybe you look towards a H-Tusk fish.
Whatever you do, you will need to plan it out till the last detail, your filtration system, skimmer etc.

Also, you might want to count out the clowns if you go within the trigger and Tusk fish idea.

This will just give you a wild idea to what you might want to look to see what you might like to have>

Buddy

kingken

AC Members
Apr 18, 2010
Ok my dad called me last night, and told me his angel has passed on , so I will again have a fresh list of what I can stock with. I really like the ocelaris clownfish, so I think I will definitely have a pair of them. Also I love the lyretail wrasse, so that is very likely as well. So far what I'm feeling is

pair of ocelaris clown
lyretail wrasse
dwarf angel
a few blue chromis
green mandarin
firefish
goby of some sort
cleanup crew will be a few snails and shrimp

How's this sound?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
I was thinking that your dad would assist you in the proper care for this tank and inhabitants, With the lost of the rock beauty angel I not know just what experience your dad really has here, the easier of the dwarf angels I believe is the flame angel and if you can not maintain that angel don't bother trying for a more difficult dwarf angel for which both high water conditions and a nutritional diet, both of these come into play for the long term care of this fish.

However, your thoughts to have a green mandarin may also prove to be a mistake. First of all in my opinion for this fish, its diet can be somewhat difficult, but also the larger the tank may help for the long term health of this fish. Also, its not a fish you would want to add to a not so well aged marine system. Again, this is my own opinion for this fish.
Also, the lyretail wrasse can be quite aggressive, I was suggestion to you that you might look into having a Harlequin Tuskfish it will grow somewhat of a smaller size and isn't as aggressive as the lyretail wrasse.

This will be your tank, you do what you see best for the fish you will have to maintain, I just hope that you will make the right decisions in whatever you decide on.

Buddy

kingken

AC Members
Apr 18, 2010
Well my dad has had at least a 75 gallon tank since his second year of college, so he has quite a lot of experience, I think the angel had an issue when he got it, it looked good in the display tank but since we got it home it had strange swimming patterns, even for an angel, and it didn't eat very much. As for the mandarin, I haven't read anything about them being extremely difficult eaters, but that's the fish that I've read least about on this list. I have no problem buying specific foods, and tong feeding if necessary, as a matter of fact, I have been buying Hikari anglefish food and feeding the rock beauty with tongs, as that seemed to be the only way to get it to eat. As for the wrasse, I've read they may become aggressive if introduced to another male, but in general conditions they are rather passive, and don't harm anything except crustaceans they can eat. I haven't seen a tuskfish at my local LFS, are they fairly uncommon? I like their colors quite a lot, but I really loved the personality of my old wrasse. This tank btw is very well aged, we've had it set up since I can remember, and I'm 19 now. I will be siphoning about 70% of the water into 55gal containers when I move it, then putting the water back in. i will also be keeping the dead coral structures he has, and adding live rock, so it should be very stable.
Ken

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store