Ideas for a F8 Puffer tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
I have a 15 gallon F8 puffer tank. Had the puffer for almost a year now @ .0005 salinity. I've been trying to get Java fern to take root, but they're very slow to take. Any suggestions on how to improve growth?\

I'd also like to add more life to the tank, it seems rather empty. The Java Fern only grows maybe 3" off of the substrate of egg rocks and pea gravel. The rest of the tank is pretty much lifeless, save the puffer.

I'm also running one of the stock Wal Mart filters with this tank. Any better suggestions for brackish?

Any ways to add interest to my tank? Any cool suggestions or pictures would be much appreciated.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
You could always put a couple bumblebee gobies in there provided the puffer is relatively passive.

Flaring Afro

AC Members
May 25, 2010
Puffers often tear up plants looking for snails. You could give it a try but odds are he'll try to tear them up for a snail, and you HAVE to give them snails (just in case you didn't realize).

Also, for the filter, I'd get something with a bio-wheel. Marineland has some that work well and they aren't much more than normal ones at petsmart.

Flaring Afro

AC Members
May 25, 2010
Right now my gsp is in with fake plants and some different size stumps he can go in and sleep on. I might put legos in his next tank which opens up large possibilities...

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Two gobies... Male/Female couple or does it not matteR?

What about more plants/decoration? I'm trying to keep with the SE Asia biome idea.
If you only get two, I don't think it really matters the sex ratio. They'll have plenty of space to figure out territories.

When I had my F8, I put black PVC pipes (1.5") in the tank for decorations. They had a little system of tunnels and some spots that were more cave-like. I used plastic plants in that tank, so I can't really help on that end. How long have the plants been in the tank. I would think it would take them a little while to adjust for the SG before they begin to grow well.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
15g is the minimum for a single F8. If you were to add any more fish, I suggest upgrading. Some folks have used Habitrail tubes for them to play in. Many love playing in a bubble wall. Then there's always silk plants or fake coral decor.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
15g is the minimum for a single F8. If you were to add any more fish, I suggest upgrading.
I agree!!!
I'm not an expert, but my research into F8's has showen that in a small space with other fish they will get agressive, so I would think about upgrading your tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store