filter media for sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishman101

AC Members
Jan 8, 2004
warren-oh
Visit site
hello everyone,ive desided to go with a diy sump for my 55 gal.i picked up a 22 gal. container for sump and a 3 drawer storage bin that fits perfectly for the tower...what do you think of this for a media setup [drawer 1] polyfiber pad on bottom...aquaclear sponges in middle...fuvial prefilter ceramic rings on top...[drawer 2] fiber wool [drawer 3] carbon pad on bottom with bio-max on top......and for the sump i was going to use lava rock as a bed bottom....does this sound ok? will this inped water flow?would anyone do it differently or is this pretty good??????

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Everyone's filter packing is highly personal, so it is a personal choice matter.

My W/Ds have easily rinsed prefefilter sponges first. These are pulled at least weekly if not more often for simple rinse and replacement.

The next layer is bioballs (I use Dupla's Biokaskade, but I don't know their current availability). These are all but never disturbed.

I don't use carbon routinely, nor other chemical media.

There is a final sponge for polishing prior to the return pump. Also rinsed weekly.

What is the function of the lava rock substrate in the sump proper? Biofiltration is better placed in the tower, where aeration is highest, IMHO.

My sumps house the return pump/prefilter combo, heater if needed, CO2 reactors if needed, and little else but water. They are also the location from which water is drained for partials and to which the make-upwater is added (my tanks are all planted and require very little in the way of vacuuming).

So, that is the way I do it, but there is nothing "wrong" or improper about your proposed setup either, with the possible exception of the lava rock. Personal choice.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store