Need help: How to safely transport discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Hey guys, looking for some help.

I am planning to buy 6 small discus (2.5-3 inches) in a couple of weeks. Their setup will be a 55 gallon bare bottom (or light, very thin sand bed), heated to 83 degrees. I'm thinking of getting a couple of sponge filters instead of using my current HOB's (although they've worked wonders for me) because 1.) they are impossibly loud, and 2.) the water flow they give out is very strong. Water changes will be 3-4 times a week at 50%, and eventually I will add a small school of smaller tetras. Farther down the road I will consider making it a show tank after they have grown and fully settled in- but that's a long way off, I want to make sure they start off great with a super clean, healthy tank.

Overall, I'm super excited for the new additions and the tank! I have a couple of questions, though.

The discus are located 3 hours away. There are absolutely NO discus locally, and the place I will be getting them at keeps very quality fish. I am hoping for some advice on the safest, best way to transport them from the store to my home. I know I will have to find a way to keep the water warm, oxygenated, and clean during the drive- but how? I need all the advice I can get on this, I don't want to do it wrong or have any mishaps along the way!

Also, if/when changing my filters from HOB to sponge, how would you suggest I do it... I don't want to remove the good bacteria in the HOB's because I would have to completely re-cycle the tank. Should I keep the sponge filters in with the HOB's for a while so the bacteria will spread and then remove them? Thoughts?

Thank you SO much guys :) The help is appreciated.

-Bree

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Leave one of your HOBs going with your two sponge filters for a couple of weeks. With your frquent water changes it is actually not that big of a deal.

When I bought my first discus, the hobbyist I bought from was 2.5 hours away. I brought a cooler and placed the fish in the bags in the cooler. That way They were fairly stationary and stayed warm. It was winter as well...everyone stayed nice and toasty!

Good luck!! Remember it is supposed to be fun! I love my Discus...but they really are a lot of work! Don't forget to keep reading.

Steph

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
You are giong to have to put the sponge filters in the tank for awhile before taking out the HOB. I have both in my tank, my HOB is an aqutech, cheap from Walmart and makes zero noise.
But I would think you could get a rubbermaid container with a battery air pump and keep the car warm.

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
I called the shop- they said the most they can do for the trip is double bag them and pack them in a Styrofoam box inside a cardboard box. Think this will be alright for 3 hours? I will keep the car warm! :)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think you will be fine. That should provide a fairly consistent temp until you get them home.

What kind are you getting?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
that should be fine. Waht I usually do is take a 5g bucket lined with shipping bags (to preserve their slime coat). I drill a hole in the lid and run an airline with an airstone in and use one of the airpumps with the converter to plug into the car lighter.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
The best way I have found is like msjinkz suggested. I use a 5 gallon bucket w/and air stone and heater. I have a voltage converter that plugs into my car and has 2 regular plug outlets to plug in the heater and air pump. Works like a charm and I wouldn't be overly concerned on keeping the water 84 degrees for such a short time. They will be fine. I have just found the fish I transport in this way are much less stressed and it is easy to acclimate them because they are already in the bucket.

Good luck - I love discus!

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
one other thing...

Thanks for all of the help, guys! I feel a lot more comfortable for the drive now, and less worried. I had one other random question-

Since I figure I'll be changing the water so often and consistently, I am thinking about moving the tank to a location that is near a window (but not in direct sunlight). My thought is that this will make it extremely simple to drain the tank- just syphon it outside. My question is, can I use the garden hose outside the window to fill it back up? This would make it SO much more simple to change water and take away the bucket.... after bucket... after bucket system! Any thoughts on that? We've never used any chemicals on our yard, or hardly even used the hose- although I could get a brand new hose to ensure it's cleanliness/safety.

Yes? No?

Thanks again.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Bree,

Since you are committing to proper care for your discus (several w/c's a week - daily is best when they are young) I would invest in a python water changing system (or something similar). They aren't that expensive and it will make your water changes a breeze. I would not use a garden hose for your water changes unless it is rated "drinking water safe" (Big Lots carries one for about $8 I think).

Also - you will read a lot of differing opinions on using straight tap water for your water changes. I used a barrel to hold my tap water for 24 hours before adding it to my discus tank to stabilize my ph (had a heater and air stone in it). Make sure the barrel is rated food safe - other types could leach toxins into your water, I found this out the hard way. After my fish matured I switched to straight tap water and really didn't see any difference. But I cut my water changes down to 2 or 3 times a week instead of daily (which I did for several months as they were growing). I never used RO water or anything to lower my PH - these are tank raised discus not wild caught from the Amazon. Warm, clean, ph stable water is what your discus will thrive in.

Discus are demanding but worth it,

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Test your tap water first, to make sure your PH stays stable. It is best to put it a container with heater and aerator for 24 hours. Test PH before and after. If the ph is stable, you can use your tap water without difficulty. If it is not, you will need to age your water first. You need to heat the water to pretty close to tank temp. A python or something similar is a must. My outside faucet water was nowhere near 86 degrees. Though I am able to use my inside faucet for refilling of tank where I can adjust temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store