Toadstool Leather Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
A few months ago I found a toadstool leather at the LFS that was in pretty bad shape. It had started on one rock, must not have been cared for well or something and was drooped over across another rock falling towards the ground. When I bought it I found it was attached to both rocks, one on the base and the one about halfway along the shaft.

It is seems to be doing great now in my tank, standing straight up w/ the little tentacles out every day!

Can I cut off the portion of the shaft attached to the first rock? Will it grow a new head? Will the current head and portion of stalk survive fine? Should I?

Secondly, after looking at the coral today I noticed it now has what appears to be a split forming down the side and looks like it may be starting to split in half. I think I remember somewhere seeing that this is how they multiply naturally. Is it likely that this is what it is doing? If it does split what should I do?

Thanks again in advance for the help!!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Originally posted by M-pire

It is seems to be doing great now in my tank, standing straight up w/ the little tentacles out every day!

Can I cut off the portion of the shaft attached to the first rock? Will it grow a new head? Will the current head and portion of stalk survive fine? Should I?

Secondly, after looking at the coral today I noticed it now has what appears to be a split forming down the side and looks like it may be starting to split in half. I think I remember somewhere seeing that this is how they multiply naturally. Is it likely that this is what it is doing? If it does split what should I do?
Sounds like a good recovery.
1. Yes, you can cut it away from the old rock. Whatever is left will reaorganize to for a new colony. Takes about a month until you get a proper new head.
2. Hard to say without a picture, but it is probably splitting. I'd just sit back and enjoy the show.

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Here is a pic, sorry for the quality but the best I could do for now.

Edit:Used aquatic photos because I exceeded my bandwidth using my website.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store