New 25 gallon tank, suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
Okay so my teacher is moving rooms into the science acadamy building the following year so she has to clear all of her animals that are sitting in her room and well...theres A LOT of empty tanks shes willing to give away >w>;;

So I got a few and am planning on setting them up as needed. So I have the 25 gallon tank to start~ I have no idea what I want in it to be honest XD I just saw the tanks and felt like I wanted more fish >w<! Im planning on getting it all set-up in time to get those fish that are on sale at Petsmart(Since Im a student, Im running on a low-budget XD); Does anyone have any suggestions .w.?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Here's the list of fish on sale...

http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=fishsale&origkw=fishsale&sr=1&ab=fish_b052510c

For a 25g I would suggest picking a group of 6-8 of one of the following fish:

-glowlight tetra
-harlequin rasbora
-cherry barb (only one or two males)
-zebra danio
-blackskirt tetra
-bloodfin tetra

for a "centerpiece" you could try some guppies(1m, 2-3f) which are on sale otherwise there really isn't anything on sale that works. If you're sticking to only petsmart they do sell dwarf gouramis as well which are a nice centerpiece as well as bettas of course (only one though). For the bottom I would also do corys for the bottom but they are regular price as well.

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
Ah, thank you so much for the suggestions oAo<< This helps a lot~ Its not that I cant get anything that isnt on sale. I just cant get fish that are over 5 bucks if Im getting more than one of them you know. The sale just happened to have a lot of fishies on sale that I might like without killing my wallet XD. Would getting the otto cat be a bad idea? I like those little guys and my sister finds them interesting so Im wondering if I should get those. And say if I did get them, how many should I get and what fish would I get with them :eek:?

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
Darnit, that sucks TAT... Umm so thats not suggested huh? (Off topic but how do I know if someone replied to me without having to search for the thread again? Im still new to this) Well I might skip out on them then. The tank is kinda tall rather than long, 24x12x21. My sister is sorta bugged out at the amount of guppys that I have already in another tank and she apparently wanst "real" fish T___T Guppies are real fish too, just kinda small. Thing is she wants slightly bigger fish Im guessing, so I saw the gouramis, are those not good for new tanks?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You would want to stick to smaller species like dwarfs or honeys. The former is pretty common and cheaper, usually. Stay away from the blues/golds/opalines and anything larger. Even pearls should have more space.

For that size tank I would stick to a single dwarf or a trio of honeys.

You should also be able to subscribe to a thread and I believe you will get emails when someone posts...but I've never done that myself.

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
Ahhh I feel kinda used XD;; I let my sister choose whatever and she ended up buying them. 4 platys(Red and orange), 4 mollies(Black and silver), and 3 oto. The otos I plan to put into my old tank and well the others are going in the new one. For now, they are all sitting in quarenteen jars XD I hope the otos dont die on me through this because I read they were really hard to take care of in the begining, do you know anything about them?

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
Well the 3 otos went in my other tank that has been set up for a while now and I have four silver and four black mollies. All of them I am trying to quarenteen. I have never kept mollies before so I hope they dont all die on me :(

And random question but does anyone know if reptile wood can act as a substitute for driftwood or is there something in it that is bad for water and fish :eek:?

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
I dont know, I was just curious since I wanted to find any piece of wood in the backyard since I cant go and get one anytime soon :/ Will grapevine wood work though? I got some of that I can spare Im sure. Or I can see if my teacher has some, or does the wood for reptile not work with water? Sorry for all the questions >.<;;

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store