Which is a nicer product: Python vs. Aqueon siphon cleaners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
I think the suction valve that comes with the aqueon is much better. Also, the tubing is a bit larger. The tubing starts out a bit stiff with either, but softens pretty quickly after using it a few times.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't care for any of the faucet attachments to drain water, quite the waste in most cases. But the products are good for filling for sure. I have a python that I bought in 1984 and the hose is as soft and pliable as my new one.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I think the suction valve that comes with the aqueon is much better. Also, the tubing is a bit larger. The tubing starts out a bit stiff with either, but softens pretty quickly after using it a few times.
thanks glen, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. Larger tubing would make a difference in my day. How is the valve better? I don't know if I'll use the sink for draining, but who knows.

MYname

AC Members
Mar 28, 2010
canada
python is pretty soft to start however softness isnt always a good thing the softer the hose the esier the fitings will come undone
my python has sprung a leak quite a few times

i havent used the aqueon one so i cant compare it for you, but you shuld know that the pythons faucet fittings are verry fragile and easy to strip and to get a proper leak proof fit you need to half dsasemble the fittings and re asemble them on the faucet (but only if the faucet threads are on the outside)

also the soft springy python hose is a pain in the but to re coil (easly the most painfull anoying time consuming part of your waterchange will be wrestling the sprngy bendy, stickey, flexable hose back into shape for storage) i personaly wuld go for a more stiff hose that will hold its shape better (the python wont even try to spring back into shape for you)

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I don't care for any of the faucet attachments to drain water, quite the waste in most cases. But the products are good for filling for sure. I have a python that I bought in 1984 and the hose is as soft and pliable as my new one.
Thanks. I have a similar feeling about wasting water to run a siphon... but I may use the sink to get it started and then run it out the window or something. I really need to stop carrying buckets. If I do a 50% water change everywhere around the house, that's over 60 gallons of water, to carry OUT and then IN. and all the time spent filling those buckets. And cleaning up minor spills.

laudy000

AC Members
Jan 6, 2009
I have had a Python for at least 15 years. Dont understand the above complaints about the hose. I have had no problems. I have had to replace the sink attachment one time in all those years. No complaints from me with the Pythons. I use them to both drain and fill with no problems. Without them, I wouldnt do water changes, or at least not many.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The faucet attachments have always worked for me..just didn't care to waste water to get water out of the tank. I use the hose to drain to the nearest tub or out the nearbt door/window. Then attach to sink for the refill.

Never had an issue with the more pliable Python hose being hard to coil back up...just your technique probably.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store