Concerns regarding my betta - red streak and parasite pos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ahura-sama

AC Members
Dec 12, 2009
Northridge, CA
Here is the pic of the red streaking: When I first got her she was all blue. Not pale but the standard healthy blue all over. After like several weeks though the portion circled in the picture just out of the blue take on a red coloring. The 2 frontal fins have patches of red while the big main has more of a gradient fill.

Also just today I saw a white worm that appears to come out of her head. Looks like detritus worm but smaller. Then 2 mins later it disappeared. Not sure if it was something that hitchhiked on or internal parasite.

Tank she was in is 33gal. API Ammonia test reads 0 so doesnt seem to be Ammonia burn. Tank is very matured. Only other inhabitant are Amanos. Temp has been rather low, 70-75 for the last several weeks. Up to the moment of quarantine she was eating well and actively swimming around in the tank. I feed her Sera Vipan Staple Diet that I got from DrFoster as a free sample.

Any idea on the red streak and parasite??

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Could you try to get another photo. This one is pretty difficult to see.

Ahura-sama

AC Members
Dec 12, 2009
Northridge, CA
Here is a better (sharper) pic of the big main fin w/ the red streak.

I couldnt not get a super-macro for the frontal 2, or super-macro period

Im still getting used to my Pana fz35 macro capability.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm not an experience Betta keeper, in fact I've never had a Betta, but I've read a lot of threads about them. Is it possible that the color that your seeing is just part of the normal development of coloration in a Betta?

Do you see any other signs or symptoms in him?

Could you tell us more about your tank please?
What kind of filter do you use and how do you maintain it: cleaning schedule?
Water change schedule: frequency and volume?
Kind of conditioner you use to remove chlorine and chloramine?
Can you provide info on all parameters: nitrite, nitrate, ph, and gh/kh if possible? You mention that the ammonia is 0ppm, what kind of testing equipment do you use: strips or liquid test kit?

One thing I've learned from the Betta keepers on AC is that Bettas really are not comfortable at temps less than 78F, so I would up the temp to at least that.

In regards to the worm that you saw, can you be more specific? Did it appear to come from its mouth or gills, or did it seem to emerge or errupt from the skin or body of the fish? Do you see any sign of anything like that now? It may just be planaria.

Hopefully your Betta will be OK, I'm hoping this is just the normal course of developing his full colors, but let us know more by providing answers to the questions I've asked.

I''m wishing the best for your handsome little guy. Let us know more as soon as you can.

Ahura-sama

AC Members
Dec 12, 2009
Northridge, CA
At the moment she (Female) is fine. Doesnt appear to be too lethargic or hyperactive. Eat fine and excrement show no sign of parasite (white and stringy).

33 gal custom 45" long 12" x 12" Eheim 2217 havent cleaned it for several months. About 15-20% each week for the time being. Mostly due to the brown hair algae. I have to suck them up.
Seachem Prime

Last test:
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate
0 Ammonia
7.4-7.6 pH
7-8 Kh
All test are done w/ API Freshwater Masterkit.

Right above the mouth, not the upper lip, on that smooth area between the eye but not passing the eye. The worm just sort of anchored right there so techinically speaking it would have erupted out, squiggling around too. As I type this message, there is no sign of the thing anywhere. It's not planaria though, hair thin and longer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store