Where is my salt going?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
So a few months ago I figured if I use a quarter cup of salt per new gallon during a WC I would get SG at 1.006.

Eventually my SG raises to 1.008

Then all of a sudden my eel stops eating and I find out the SG is at 1.003/4.

I raised my SG to .006 and then I did a nearly 50% WC with 1.009 and then my SG is down to .004/5. What is going on? Can SG just lower?

If it makes a difference, I sucked out a lot of the sand (deliberately) during the last water change to remove some of the black sand from the bottom. Also the tank smelled of dirty fish water very strong.

The tank is furnished with playsand and lacerock. I also have a ton of long hair algae in the tank.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The only ways that salt can escape the system are through you removing water and salt creep. If you were losing enough salt from creep to lower your salinity that much you'd see it. My first thought is how are you measuring salinity? If you're using a hydrometer there are two things to consider (besides the fact that hydrometers aren't the best tool for the job!) #1 Are you certain that you have gotten all the bubbles off of the needle each and every time you've taken a reading? If not this can cause a false high reading. #2 Do you rinse out the hydrometer with fresh water after each use? If not deposits can build up that can cause a false low reading.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Temperature has an effect on SG, as well. Also, the salt needs plenty of time to dissolve properly. Don't measure the SG in freshly mixed saltwater.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
and if you are running a skimmer and it overflows or you are running it very wet you can lose salt that way if you are topping off with freshwater like you should be.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010

Flaring Afro

AC Members
May 25, 2010
I'd take some to a local fish store and have them measure it, but not right after a change so it dissolves rather than refractometer. Nothing against it, but I'd make sure the hydrometer is the problem before buying it.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Temperature has an effect on SG, as well. Also, the salt needs plenty of time to dissolve properly. Don't measure the SG in freshly mixed saltwater.
How long should I let the salt dissolve? I usually do it in a 5g bucket and mox it around with my arm and an aerator until the water is almost clear.

And once the water in the bucket settles down (usually after a few minutes) I measure the salinity with a thermometer/hydrometer (the cheap one lol).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store