20 gallon long aquarium.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shrimpo

AC Members
Nov 28, 2009
fairfax, Virginia
For the first time trying to set up a brackish aquarium. please let me know if i am doing something wrong:
- Instant ocean sea salt, 1 table spoon per gallon.
- undergravel filter.
-java moss, java fern, moss balls, water sprite.
-Amano shrimp, and nerite snails (zebra & red spot)
I have some questions:
1-i want to keep bumblebee goby, is it shrimp/snail safe? where to get these fish?
2-do i need to turn the filter off when doing water change?
3-How to keep the SG constant?
Thanks

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
For the first time trying to set up a brackish aquarium. please let me know if i am doing something wrong:
- Instant ocean sea salt, 1 table spoon per gallon.
- undergravel filter.
-java moss, java fern, moss balls, water sprite.
-Amano shrimp, and nerite snails (zebra & red spot)
I have some questions:
1-i want to keep bumblebee goby, is it shrimp/snail safe? where to get these fish?
2-do i need to turn the filter off when doing water change?
3-How to keep the SG constant?
Thanks
Well, let's see what my little experience can illuminate...

bumblebee gobies (IME) are pretty docile and will not harm shrimp or snails.
I have never turned off a filter during a water change unless i was planning to dismantle it for cleaning. Just make sure that the water stays above the intake for the filter so it doesn't suck in a bunch of air.
Keeping the SG constant is a little bit of trial and error. It's pretty intuitive though. Just do small changes at first until you get the hang of it... the principles will be the same when doing bigger changes. Remember that evaporation will not get rid of salt, just water. So if you're just topping off, you should use fresh water with no salt added. Water you syphon out will take salt with it, so you'll have to account for that when adding back to the tank.

HTH

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
only thing i would add to your equipment list is some sort of measurement tool for measuring the salinity of the water, a refractometer is the best but a hydrometer should work just fine

shrimpo

AC Members
Nov 28, 2009
fairfax, Virginia
I got instant ocean hydrometer that is able to read from 1.000 to 1.032.
now the real question is where can i find brackish live stock (i just post a WTB thread on the buy/sell forum). i couldn't find any brackish inverts at the LFS exept for ghost shrimp.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
only thing i would add to your equipment list is some sort of measurement tool for measuring the salinity of the water, a refractometer is the best but a hydrometer should work just fine
+1 on the refractometer....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store