Bree's Discus Tank Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
I'm so excited about getting my discus tank up and running! It all starts with square one: I tore down my planted 55 gallon, siphoned out the sand, removed the plants, made it a bare bottom. (Wow, much easier cleanup already!) Cleaned the filters, and I've been upping the temperature for the last few months. Finally at 85 degrees!

Stocked up on the discus diet: frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, tetra colorbits, beef heart etc. Still looking for a discus cone, but I won't be needing that for a while anyways. Already doing daily water changes to get in the habit, even though the discus aren't here yet!

I currently have some small schooling fish in the tank to keep the cycle running until the discus get here, (they were in the tank before I tore it down). But they will have a new home once the discus arrive. There's 9 blackskirt tetras, 2 rasboras, 3 cories, 3 kuhli loaches, and one clown loach.

So this is post #1 of my discus tank build thread! Keep checking in (or subscribe) to see how it goes along! I'll post pics as often as possible. And when the discus arrive, be warned, there will be a photo overload :) :)

IMG_7290.JPG

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Stocking it with discus from Kenny over at simplydiscus.com

Can't wait! I'll keep you all updated :) Hopefully I will be able to make a video and post it here of unpacking them.

My final order is:
(1) Albino Pearl Diamond (striated type)
(2) Checkerboard Pigeons
(1) Blue Diamond
(1) Altum Flora
Kenny is absolutely the best around and the easiest to work with. Awesome guy.

I. Am. So. Excited. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:headbang2: lookin good

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Looks great! My discus (most of them) are also from Kenny! Kenny is simply an awesome person to know and do business with. You will be getting terrific healthy fish with voracious appetites!! Looking forward to pics of the new arrivals!!:grinyes:

Bree7

AC Members
May 22, 2010
Good start. Get yourself 1-2 sponge filter.
Just ordered two 80 gallon sponge filters last night.. So the tank will have tons of filtration in addition to my HOB's.

I will keep you all updated!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store