The begining of a shellie tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Ok, so first off this will be the beginning of a long thread I'm sure. I am planning to start a Lake Tang tank and want to stock it with shell dwellers, possible a couple tank mates, not sure on that part as of now.

I have a 30g tank that I originally started for a sump. I have changed my mind on the sump and really am liking the thought of turning it into shellie tank. So first questions...
1) How many can I plan to stock?

2) Can I add more then one type?

3) What substrate do they like best?

4) Tank mate suggestions?

The ones I will be deciding between are...

"Lamprologus"- Brivis, Calliurus, Similis and Stappersii.

"Telmatochromis"- Bifrenatus, Brichardi and Vittatus.

These are my favorites, I know I can't have a group of all the different types so first of all are there any of these that would be bad to keep together?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
1) Depends on the species but I would say you could probably get 20 or so shellies in the tank so long as there is enough shells per fish. That's just a guess though and it will also depend on how well the males, especially, interact with each other. Even when I kept just multis as the only shelldweller in a 55g I was removing more fish than one would expect because of quarrels within the colony that I wanted to iron out. It's sort of a trial and error process IMO.

2) Probably, but it would require a complete break in the line of sight on either side of the tank so the shell pits stay separated. Some taller rockwork would suffice.

3) Sand all the way. A lot of species will dig so you do not want something sharp cutting up their mouths (pool filter/play sand is fine).

4) You would want something for the top of the tank since shellies do not venture much above the top half even third of the tank very often. If you do not mind going outside the "biotope" go with rainbows, livebearers, or even danios perhaps. Something that appreciates or tolerates water high in TDS is best.

I'm not sure you will have issues with any of the pairing so long as you keep the species as separated as possible. I've personally never kept any Telmatochromis but I think Pitt has. I do wonder if cross breeding is an issue, but I again I am not sure about whether they even can (within the genus). Just from a quick search it seems like male Calliurus can get rather larger, for shellies that is. Might want to rule them out since that does limit stocking.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Maybe if you put a rock formation in the center, to divide the tank in two territories, you can add a bunch of shells on both tank sides and possibly each side can be occupied by a different shellie species. So, it is possible to have this way 2 different shellie species in that tank; but add species that won't crossbreed: I would choose a Lamprologus species and a Telmatochromis species; 6 to 8 fishes of each one to start.
For substrate, sand; you choose the type and color but keep in mind that they like high pH and hardness; so maybe a buffer is going to be needed in the substrate, depending on your tap water.
Instead of 2 shellie species, I think you can also have just one and a rock dweller species like a Julidochromis; but for this, put the rock formation on one side of the tank and the shells on the other side. I feel surprised because you mentioned L. similis and not L. multifasciatus (a very similar species, easier to breed and more available). But, if I have to pick 2 species from your list, I would choose L. similis and T. vittatus "shell" (smaller and more peaceful than the common T. vittatus).

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Thanks Pap! Ok, so the Calliurus are out.

Thanks for the thoughts on some tank mates. I'm not sure what part of the tank they occupy but I was wondering about some apisto or some other "dwarf" cichlid. The Cardinals sound nice. Not sure I want the livebearer route.

Sand most likely a Aragonite type?

Efors, I did look at the Multi's and I liked them but I just like the Similis better. Funny you mentioned the Julidochromis, I was looking at them also and was thinking if I could only go with one type of Shelly maybe getting them since they were very similar looking to the Telmatochromis.
I was also wondering about the Gobies..they just look so cute!

Last edited:

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Oh a question I forgot to add. The shells....is there a particular type that is best and what do I add like 1-2 per fish??

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
If you ask at Living Art, they will give you as many shells as you want. They are usually free, it just depends on who is there. The shells are sadly shells from marine snails that didn't make it. They work really well for shellies. I used them when I had multis.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Anything smaller than a 4' tank is best suited to a single species of shellie because they claim a relatively large territory. Particularly of you'll be raising fry in the same tank. Multi's are colonial, and will tolerate fry until they mature. Most other species will either ignore are actively eat their fry soon after they become free-swimming.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i know this isnt one of the species you mentioned but have you considered looking at the Altolamprologus compressiceps 'sumbu shell' its a miniature version of A compressiceps that lives in shells. you dont see them very often and they seem to be a very different and interesting species. and for finding shells, it all depends on if you have a smaller species like multies but i find shells for my multies at hobby lobby, i got like 50 for like $3.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't be mixing continents, nor lakes even. "Dwarf" cichlids have a much different temperament than Tangs do and occupy the same levels. I would imagine any apistos would be harassed to death. You would definitely need something that spends its time in the mid to top level of the tank.

I think going with one shell dweller species and another rock dwelling species like Julies or calvus would be a better idea. When I mixed them in my 55 they stayed pretty much out of each others way and there were never any issues. It should still work with a smaller footprint though.

For shells I used escargot shells and they worked fine but really anything that is large enough they will use.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
OMG...I found the "tank mate" I want!!

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1478

Obviously I have to research it quite a bit and see if I can even find them, but looking at the "set up" guide thing in the cichlid forum (went with a 29g recommendations since it was closest to a 30). I found these guys and really like them, anyone know them?

Also I found out I have a 30 Long (I think) if I read it right, my dimensions are 36 x 13 x 17.

Ok, Pap I will stick with the same lake ;).

Austin, I will look into them...thanks for the thought!!!

Todd, I believe I have decided that is best too (1 species). I'm not really worried about breeding however. I know they most likely will but I wont be doing anything special to try and breed them. If they do, they do and as mean as it may sound if the babies survive that is great..but if they don't well it's nature I spose. I do like the Multi's but not really looking into them. I really hope that doesn't make me sound like a horrible person, if it does plz forgive me.

Blue, thanks...I will look next week when I'm down there!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store