My Xeriscaping Project...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok I know this isnt meant for gardens but then again there is no section for gardens. Well this is what interests me besides my pet fish.

I use to have this nice and clean till the gophers came along. I paniced most of the plants went into pots I ran low on money my project came to a hault. Thanks to some recent sales at Walmart I bought some big tubs for $5 and now im gonna replant my big Agave's in there and bury the tubs in the ground to prevent sun damage and to make the plants look like there plants in the ground.

For those who dont know what a Xeriscape is this is a deff provided by Wikepedia.

Xeriscaping and xerogardening refers to landscaping and gardening in ways that reduce or eliminate the need for supplemental water from irrigation. It is promoted in regions that do not have easily accessible, plentiful, or reliable supplies of fresh water, and is gaining acceptance in other areas as climate patterns shift.
The word xeriscaping is a portmanteau of xeros (Greek for "dry") and landscaping, and Xeriscape is used for this style of garden.
Plants whose natural requirements are appropriate to the local climate are emphasized, and care is taken to avoid losing water to evaporation and run-off. While many Denver Water employees helped coin the term xeriscape, Xeriscape and the xeriscape logo are not registered trademarks of Denver Water, the water department of Denver, Colorado.[1] They were created by the Front Range Xeriscape Task Force of Denver Department in 1978.[1] The specific plants used in xeriscaping depend upon the climate. Some common plants used in Western xeriscaping are agave, cactus, lavender, juniper, sedum and thyme.
In some areas, terms such as water-conserving landscapes, drought-tolerant landscaping, zeroscaping, and smart scaping are used instead.

----------------------------------------

Ok these are pics of my garden. When funds ran out I left things alone well the weeds took over. I got a huge project ahead of me. Thought Ide share another side of me other then my fish.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Know what sucks most bout this project??? What sucks most is I got to be in the sun gardening even though im actually allergic to the sun. LOL Love nature and im allergic to the one thing all life needs.... The sun

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
That sucks about being allergic to the sun...of all things.
The real question is, are you going to make tequila?

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
LOL Agave tequilana is the one to make Tequila. I only own one of those and its very small. So ummm no lol. There just ornamental

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
some nice plants you have there GER, i really like the one with the white stripes down the leaves.

can't wait to see your garden all spruced up!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Looks good GER. I wish I could keep succulants outdoors all year long here.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
some nice plants you have there GER, i really like the one with the white stripes down the leaves.

can't wait to see your garden all spruced up!
Agave american mediopicta "Alba" is what the one with the white stripe is called. Mine is gonna give like 3-4 babies sometime soon. Good thing bout moving the plant was I got to check for pups (baby plants) and with the exception of 1 plant there all bout to give pups.

Some succulents are tolerant of cold winters I know some Agave are as well granted not sure how your winters are. Most of the Agaves I own are frist tolerant but only for short periods of time. If left in frost for to long they begin to burn.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
Vicious if you want i can give you this cactus that has been growing in my yard for ages and it survives quite nicely infact it has sort of become a nascence lol.

GER it looks good and should be interested to see how you scape it.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Vicious if you want i can give you this cactus that has been growing in my yard for ages and it survives quite nicely infact it has sort of become a nascence lol.
If it's a Prickly Pear I don't want it! I use to have one of those at my parents house. That thing grew huge and took over my mom's perennial garden, lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store