!!Really sick Blood Parrot!! Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andy5268

AC Members
Jun 6, 2001
Basking Ridge, NJ
Posted this in the cichlid forum, but didn't get a lot of responce, The sickness described below is pretty general so i posted here.

Just returned from vacation and have found my blood Parrot cichlid really sick.

He hasn't been himself for a while, not eating just hanging in the tank but looked ok. Once i returned i found he has these white bumps on his head kind of like little mushrooms. i have no med tank to put him in so he's with the gen population, all water params are OK and changed every two weeks 20 to 30 percent.

what do you think he has? Can he be saved? If so how? Will he get everyone in the tank infected as well?

THANKS!!! you people are the best!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What size tank? Anyone in there that many harrass him? Water parameters? Anyone care for the fish while you were gone?

Sorry--I'm really not familiar with parrots (or most cichlids!), but the answers to these questions may help out.

andy5268

AC Members
Jun 6, 2001
Basking Ridge, NJ
Tank is 110 gallons, he's pretty large with a tank of mellow cichlids nobody picks on him. water params are OK - ph is 7.2. I was just away for a few days and had somone in to feed the fish. Fish was not in good shape when i left, not eating and mouth area was swollen now he's in really bad shape - any help would be appreciated i paid $55 for this fish a few months ago, he was beutiful.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Hmmm. The swollen area around the mouth would concern me--I do know that parrots are prone to problems eating and such, as a result of the hybrid deformities. Can he close his mouth fully? If not, it sounds like a bacterial infection--and while antibiotics may help, I would move him to a quarantine for treatment so you don't impact the main tank.

andy5268

AC Members
Jun 6, 2001
Basking Ridge, NJ
Hi Oriongirl,

thanks the help. I have no med tank so i'm looking at leaving him in or putting him down.

When i first bought him home months ago the LFS guy sold me the same food he was feeding him, he ate that for maybe a day and decided he didn't like it, he began only eating freeze dried krill then stopped that as well, he then would only eat frozen food (krill & blood worms) but i can't tempt him with anything now.

What do you think this is and how can i treat it? will i harm others if i treat the entire tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on what the others are, but the bigger problem is that antibiotics can kill the beneficial bacteria, resulting in ammonia/nitrites spikes. That's why treatment outside the tank is better--you can maintain good water with large water changes more easily on 10 gallons than on 100. Doesn't have to be a fish tank--any clean, water tight container will work. Many people use a large rubbermaid tub.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store