HELP cichlid problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC Members
Jun 2, 2010
i have 3 cichlids and 2 tiger barbs in a 30 gallon cichlids are bout 1 inch wondering any good sites to buy cichlids from for cheap what kind of cichlids and how many more to have:confused::confused::confused::confused::help::help::help::help:

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
You should not be adding any other fish to that tank accept maybe a couple more barbs. What kind of cichlids are they? Some cichlids get 7-8 inches easily. Dwarf cichlids are the only ones that may survive in that tank long term. Its good to ask the pet store how big the fish will get. Many pet store employees will sell you anything and not care about the fish. Its safe to be on the conservative side with stocking the tank.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
So the tank is a bit small for the red zebra and auratus. I would say eventually they will need at least a 4 foot tank. A 55 gallon is an easy to find size that works well. The cichlids you have will not get along with the barbs for long. These type of cichlids are known as mbuna and mbuna are not community fish.
No if you keep the yellow lab you could add a few more to the tank you have now. A 30 gallon is really best for a species tank. Ps saulosi is a perfect mbuna for this size tank. The males and females look drastically different so you get a little variety to the tank.
I will also mention that auratus are some of the most aggressive mbuna you can find. They are capable of killing off tankmates.

As for online sites livefishdirect has reasonable prices and decent fish.

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
These Cichlids not being known for being a very social animal in general is definitely a good point. However, if danger is in the tank, a couple more barbs would stand way more of a chance than just two. The idea is to give the barbs a chance by taking turns getting chased rather than the two getting harassed all the time. Not saying its a good combo, but it may help things work out here. Setting up three separate groupings of ornaments may help too. One in the middle up front, two in the back corners or such. Hopefully you can get the three fish to stick to their own houses.

Note: By ornament groupings I mean three groups of plants, a cave for the fish, etc. with noticeable gaps in between the three territories.

When you set up your ornaments, post a picture of your aquarium.

Last edited:

AC Members
Jun 2, 2010
ok thanks but my cichlids and barbs are realy weird they all stay in the same cave and get along very very well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store