10 gallon Multi Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Hello everyone, I've been getting into multi's and other shell dwellers lately, and was wondering if I could keep a small colony ( 5-6) in a 10 gallon. I plan on using the aquarium sand sold at pet-co. Any reccomendations on shells, breeders, and food sources???

Thanks!!!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Check aquabid. I got mine with shipping included for less than the cost of the shipping. Get ready to sell some fry, or to feed them to your other fish, as Pappy and Blue said.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
They will be fine in a 10gal i had a to down size my colony a few times a year in my 20gal long.. As for foods Omega one cichlid flake and NLS 1mm pellets will be beneficial..

Add about 3 shells per fish escargot and whale eye shells will be perfect for them..

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
+1 on the whales eye shells. There was one online vendor (can't remember which one) that actually sold shells from Lake Tangy. I bought some just cuz. They were very similar to whales eye shells. My multi's never ate pellets, they were little piggies on NLS flake, any frozen food, or live black worms.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
At cichlidbreeding.com you can find many types of shells for the multies, including the whale eye shells.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
try rockymountaincichlids.com for multies. i actually bought my breeders from aquariacentral about a year and a half ago from arrakris (havnt seen him active here in awhile). i payed i think $3 each for them. ive bought them for $1 each or less, it all depends on where you get them from. you can deffinatly keep a small colony in a 10, i have 5 adults in my breeder tank, and like 7 juvies in another tank. just be warned that these are the guppies of the cichlid world so if all goes well and you dont get all males like some people we know (lol) than you'll have alot of fry.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
just be warned that these are the guppies of the cichlid world so if all goes well and you dont get all males like some people we know (lol) than you'll have alot of fry.
I wonder who are those "some people we know"!!! :irked:

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
just be warned that these are the guppies of the cichlid world so if all goes well and you dont get all males like some people we know (lol) than you'll have alot of fry.
Ain't that the truth:grinno:! I started with a pair in my 20g. I now have 3 broods of fry in there, about 30 total. I'll be moving some of the older ones as soon as I can free up another tank. My wild Syno Multies are about to come out of quarantine so then I can do some juggling.

Ditto on cichlidbreeding.com, it's where I got all of my shells as well. I used silver and gold mouth turbos and whale eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store