Pygmy Cory- Mysterious Death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I found one of my 6 pygmy cories dead in the tank last night. Very sad since I love these little guys.

Anyway, I noticed the night before that the bottom half of his caudal fin was gone. There was no visible sign of rot or fungus and none of the other fish show any such signs either.

I did notice that he seemed to be trying to swim into the current from the HOB a lot that night and he was very active in the tank.

His tankmates are:

5 other Pygmy Cories
4 Long finned Zebra Danios
2 Amano Shrimp
4 Ghost Shrimp
3 Danio fry in a breeder net

The breeder net is a pain and taking up more space than I'd like int he already small tank. Could it be that the close(r) quarters are making the normally friendly danios nippy?

Since I saw no signs of illness I can only think of aggression as the cause. Any ideas?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Anything that it could have gotten caught in? I've had fish get into my filters many times--everything from shrimp to neons to danios to kuhli loaches. Could have been injured by the attempt.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
Its possible that he could have been caught between the glass od the aquarium and the breeder net. They like to eat off the net. Maybe he got caught in there in panicked. I hadn't thought of that.

They can't get into the filter I don't think. Its a Penguin 125 in a 10g so the current is pretty strong and the intake has a good cage on it.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
The only "for sure" thing I can add to this is that Corydoras are sensitive fish. They dont do especially well in overstocked, smaller aquariums. If they just "up and die", something is wrong. It could be the overall water quality, or it could have been something in the tank (or other fish).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I assure you--the strong current won't stop them. My fish manage to make it into my AC300, and there's a very strong current on it. Fish are amazingly good at swimming upstream!

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
Wow. I can't imagine them getting into there but maybe that's what happened.

aquariumfishguy, the breeding net in there has cut way down on the free swim space so I fear it is affecting the behavior of some of the fish.

I'm waiting to get my new fluval in for the 29g and once that happens I can move all the fish but the fry into the bigger tank. Hopefully that will sort things out as I haven't had any such problems before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store