Goldfish help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

benzboy

AC Members
Jun 3, 2010
My dad has some goldfish that are reasonably old that live in a 125litre tank, he has 4 of them and they are all around 10 years old 2 of them lost their colours ages ago and went to a very light orange colour almost silver rather than orange and now the other 2 are starting to go the same way is there anything i can do to stop them losing their colours? and is it something that i have done? in the past i have added king british, safe guard and green algea control as instructed by the shop keeper who sold me the fish. advice or an answer would be much appreciated
Thanks

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Goldfish coloration may depend on many things, including diet, exposure to light and genetics. It is not necessarily true that goldies will lose color as they get older. You don't say what you are feeding them. When you say "reasonably old" what does that mean? Goldfish can live to be 20 years old or older. There are color enhancing foods that will intensify golds and oranges, but nothing can replace a well rounded diet including proteins and fresh fruits and vegetables.

You might also want to check the water parameters to make sure that they are correct. Sometimes, fish sellers like to sell products and aren't necessarily too concerned with what will actually help fish. With goldies, my key to success has been very clean water and variety of diet, but I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Hope this helps.

benzboy

AC Members
Jun 3, 2010
hey sorry i didnt know what to put earlier my goldfish are fed on Aquarian - advanced nutrition goldfish flake food and they around 10 years old at the moment

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
That's pretty good for tank goldfish! You must be doing something right! :)

You might try adding some fresh fruits (chopped sections of orange with the pith removed) or veggies ( blanched zucchini, shelled cooked peas, etc.) to see if it makes their colors more vibrant. I know how much mine love to get a few fresh veggies.

benzboy

AC Members
Jun 3, 2010
hey, ill try them on some fruit and veg to see if their colour comes back to be honest i dont mind if it doesnt as long as they are ok, thanks very much for replying :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store