Turning FW fish SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Now I've been to a local store here that had some FW fish that were turned SW...how? They did not explain ...just said one guy does it and sells it to them for SW feeders.

They were Dalmation colored fish forgot there names but I used to have them in FW. I think it would be so darned cool to turn some FW fish to SW... =)

Anyone here do this?:feedback:

PS: Platty ...i believe they were dalmation platty ...yah thats it.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Plattys and mollies are actually brackish to begin with. Since they're livebearers and breed like bunnies, it's a cheap abundant fish to use as feeders. People keep them in both fresh and BW tanks.

Many (not all) freshwater fish are salt tolerant to a degree. In fact, adding a little aquarium salt is recommended to calm them down if they're highly stressed and as treatment for a breakout of Ich. That just takes them to around 1.010 SG.. it's not going full salt (which is more around 1.024/1.025).

What this sounds like to me is the guy is possibly acclimating those feeders to brackish or maybe highly brackish salt concentration. Then when they're plopped into a full salty tank, they don't freak out as much from a drastic change. They probably live a little longer before dying which gives predatory fish some cheap live food that stays around long enough for them to hunt them down.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
AWW you bubble burst bad person you! I was hoping to acclimate something like a Loach lol.

Just to see my friends face as he visits my tank ...and see him say "WTFudge is a FW fish doing in there!?!?"

I know silly....but I thought it would be so cool to.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
LMAO... yeah, sorry about that. :)

Mollies, plattys, etc. are also commonly used to cycle freshwater tanks (when going with a fishy cycle instead of fishless cycle) because they're just a very hardy fish which survives elevated levels and bad parameters. Compared to other FW community fish, those species are pretty rugged and not as easy to kill.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
AQ salt is not marine salt...therefore will not create brackish water.

I do not think platies are technically found in brackish waters, but I'm sure they could tolerate it. Mollies are much better at acclimating to brackish conditions I believe.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Mollies and guppies are both commonly sold as SW feeders, don't know of any dalmation platies but dalmation mollies are common :)

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Mollies and guppies are both commonly sold as SW feeders, don't know of any dalmation platies but dalmation mollies are common :)
HAH...Ok Molly not platty.... Yes ...FW world is a faded memory hidden behind brain farts.:woot:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I do not think platies are technically found in brackish waters, but I'm sure they could tolerate it. Mollies are much better at acclimating to brackish conditions I believe.
Platies are typically considered limnic, with some populations being exposed to more saline conditions. Mollies are true brackish and limnic fish that tolerate marine conditions.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Platies are typically considered limnic, with some populations being exposed to more saline conditions. Mollies are true brackish and limnic fish that tolerate marine conditions.
Thanks.

I was basing that off of fishbase which I guess doesn't specify true FW vs. limnic fish.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Thanks.

I was basing that off of fishbase which I guess doesn't specify true FW vs. limnic fish.
Sometimes I wonder if Amp lives in a marine biology lab with plenty of books nearby or has a HD attached to his brain stem that contains all this info.
:laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store