Mini terrarium in a pitcher

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I've been growing moss and some random aquatic plants in this pitcher for a few weeks now, but didn't decide to attempt a scape until tonight. Accidentally knocked it over in my sleep the other night. Was pretty steamed at the time, but I like how it turned out, so it was a blessing in disguise. Suffice to say, the bed has been moved a bit further away from the windowsill to avoid future similar incidents.

The stuff in the background is some pillow moss I scored off Mellow, then some nana petite plants between the lava rocks, and hydrocotyle, possibly tripartita, in the foreground. I put some riccardia on the rocks, but not sure how well they'll adapt going straight from a fish tank to this setup. No livestock yet, but I think it'll be the perfect setup for a couple of turtles. Maybe an iguana, but I don't want it eating the plants. Any ideas?

IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
That is BEAUTIFUL, Inka! Very cool. I definitely think you could fit a couple of red sliders in there.

mighty mouse

AC Members
May 28, 2009
Bozeman, Montana
How big is it?

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
REALLY pretty!! Me likey that pitcher

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Thanks for lookin folks! Mighty, the pitcher itself is 8" without the lid, which was pinched from something else. I'd estimate the bulbous part is maybe 5 or 6" across at the widest point.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but you plan on sticking a reptile in the pitcher?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Just a few. Why?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I think you need to include a couple of snakes and some geckos along with the iguana, just to balance things out.

guppymonkey

AC Members
Sep 5, 2009
Michigan
Seems very small for a turtle to live in and the land/water terrain is not very good for them. Seems too varied.
It is a very nice terrarium though. High points for that.
If you still have a lid, I would suggest a small frog species like spring peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) a tree frog species or something that could handle the humidity and vertical setup. They feed on fruit flies.
Could look for some if you want. I have had them in a similar setup of my own.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I think you need to include a couple of snakes and some geckos along with the iguana, just to balance things out.
That was intended to be a joke right?:22_yikes:
That pitcher isn't big enough for anything except a bug:shakehead:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store