Elephant Nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Meddling Kid

AC Members
Jun 3, 2010
What can anyone tell me about these? I think they look cool and I want one, but I've read a lot of stuff that says "semi-aggressive". They have such a weird look to them, I find it hard to believe that they could actually hurt other fish with that weird mouth.

Anyone have any experience? Or know anyone who had one? lol

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Wow, fascinating creature indeed! There seems to be a fair amount of information about them, unfortunately much of it--particularly about temperment--is contradictory. Wiki says you shouldn't keep more than one in an aquarium, while several commenters at Badmans say they keep several in a tank with no issues. Everybody does seem to agree that they are non-aggressive to other fish. Of course they need a consideraby bigger tank (40g minimum seems to be the consensus for one) than I am likely to have in the near future if ever. :(

The thing about the electrical field and being able to hear their sonar clicks with earbuds (see the Wiki article) is v. cool. :)

vr6fan

AC Members
May 30, 2010
madison, wi
I have one in a 55..very cool fish. they are night feeders so you have to feed them either at night or with the lights out..mine eats bloodworms right out of my hand. not agressive at all but you dont see them much they hide out a lot

Meddling Kid

AC Members
Jun 3, 2010
sweet! I'm probably gonna get one then. I have a 75g tank so size isnt an issue, and if they aren't aggressive to OTHER fish then thats all I need to know. I guess they're just territorial against their own kind? They're kinda expensive anyway so I wasn't planning on getting more than 1. Thanks for the information = )

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Make sure you can provide the type of food he'll eat & that he's used to "dead" foods. Many years ago we had 1 & he slowly starved no matter what we offered. See him eat before you buy.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
very interesting species, from what I've heard they aren't very agressive, but some individuals are. Make sure to post a few pictues of them in your tank!!!!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
yep, they tend to be territorial with their own kind. i would also keep them with other larger fish as well, since no fish can be trusted with others small enough to fit in its mouth.
Jon have you ever looked closely at the mouth of an Elephantnose? The mouth is a tiny little circular opening that shows extreme specialization for feeding on worms. Even one as large as 8" can't swallow an adult male feeder Guppy.

sonycrr

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
nyc
i have one
not aggressive at all
eats live black worms, frozen blood worms, live/frozen brine shrimp
and is active more at night but does come out during the day to explore
one of my favorite fish in my tank

vr6fan

AC Members
May 30, 2010
madison, wi
yep sonycrr urs sounds just like mine...he is a bit aggressive towards the other fish if they come by his hiding cave i built for him but other than that what a cool fish..he swims around my hand even when i dont have food..very inquisitive..I have yet to have mine eat anything other than frozen bloodworms but ill try other stuff...you will be happy if you get one really cool fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store