Misidentified Brackish Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I'm interested in hearing what species of true marine fish others here have seen for sale as brackish fish.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Many BW fish prefer marine conditons as adults, like Green spotted puffers, monos & scats. Many marine fish spend a lot of time in BW as juvies, like dogface puffers but are really marine fish. Many marine fish visit BW but are strictly marine fish.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Many BW fish prefer marine conditons as adults, like Green spotted puffers, monos & scats. Many marine fish spend a lot of time in BW as juvies, like dogface puffers but are really marine fish. Many marine fish visit BW but are strictly marine fish.
Monos and Scats are not true marines, they're anadromous like Salmon. GSPs have never done well for me in full strength seawater. And I've never seen a Dogface offered as a brackish fish. The White Cheek Morays are a good example of what I'm looking for. Any other experts out there? Amph?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've never actually seen an Echidna nebulosa which is the true Snowflake called brackish, but I have seen another species that was gold spotted and was called a Snowflake.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Okay, I see where part of the misunderstanding is coming from. Every professor and book that I've come in contact with has made differentiations in terms of anadromous--in other words, marine and anadromous are not mutually exclusive, depending on who you talk to. NOAA seems to think they are mutually exclusive, whereas when you look in much of the peer reviewed literature, they are not. For example: http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=k4lq817u16623323&size=largest

That is part of what was confusing me as you were describing these fish. FWIW, monos and scats are actually amphidromous, moving back and forth almost daily. There are also distinctions to be made, since many anadromous fishes temporarily live in freshwater or even brackish water at a cost. It requires physiological changes that the fish may or may not be able to cope with for long periods of time. Salmon, as in your example, are a similar case. They are in rough shape by the time they spawn, since they are no longer capable of tolerating fresh water for very long. The problem with all of this is that tolerance is more along the lines of a continuum, so the lines fade quite a bit between species, making many of the terms, especially when used in certain contexts, extremely artificial. Nor do they denote preferences or in which environment a fish does better indefinitely.

Edit: In this case I think you and I both may be just spinning our wheels, so to speak

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Given the overlap in the definitions I can possibly agree with you regarding Scats, but not Monos. The trigger for spawning Monos is to reduce salinity to freshwater levels. That is the textbook definition of anadromous. In regards to Scats I base the designation on the fact that juveniles fare much better in FW than larger individuals, but since they haven't been spawned in captivity to my knowledge the trigger is unknown. There are other factors that could account for my observations.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Given the overlap in the definitions I can possibly agree with you regarding Scats, but not Monos. The trigger for spawning Monos is to reduce salinity to freshwater levels. That is the textbook definition of anadromous. In regards to Scats I base the designation on the fact that juveniles fare much better in FW than larger individuals, but since they haven't been spawned in captivity to my knowledge the trigger is unknown. There are other factors that could account for my observations.
I agree to one degree or another and that fits my observations as well, honestly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store