Pregnant Female Guppy- White Poop Strings

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kit-Tee

Registered Member
Jun 8, 2010
Aloha Everyone!

I have to say that I am concerned right now for my pregnant female guppy. I noticed about 5 hours ago that my guppy has been pooping out a white stringy substance that has small balls every so often (sort of like those old school separators they use in water like this ---O---O--- ).

I have read on here and other sites that it can be a disease, it can be a serious issue with the tank... (etc..) and I am getting confused by the mish-mosh of answers.

Can someone please help me out and let me know what I should do?

I currently have her in a breeding net for it seems like she is ready to go (based of off the descriptions I was given). The net is in my main tank, which is 29 gallons.

Thanks a bunch!

irish paddy

AC Members
Jun 8, 2010
Dublin,Ireland
not 100% sure but she cud be aborting them.i used 2 breed them myself but its been a long time but i always remember being told at the Lfs that they can abort at any time if there not happy.has anything been stressing her out?other fish perhaps or sudden change in water readings?

Last edited:

Kit-Tee

Registered Member
Jun 8, 2010
As far as I know, nothing has been stressing her out. The tank is the exact same conditions as it was prior to her being put into the breeding net. The only thing I believed that was stressing her was the males that kept chasing after her. Thus why I put her in a breeding net. I am considering taking her out of it because it has been over 24 hours since I put her in there and I fear keeping her in a small place will not help.

jaxmom293

AC Members
May 4, 2009
Holbrook, NY
keeping her in the breeding net will stress her out and possibly abort the fry. Leave her in the main tank. If it's the fry you're intending to save, scoop them once she delivers and put them in the breeder net for a while.

jaxmom293

AC Members
May 4, 2009
Holbrook, NY
You could also leave the fry in the main tank providing you have plenty of hiding places for them. They will all eat the fry, mom included.

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Guppy aborting...

not 100% sure but she cud be aborting them.i used 2 breed them myself but its been a long time but i always remember being told at the Lfs that they can abort at any time if there not happy.has anything been stressing her out?other fish perhaps or sudden change in water readings?
I had one abort and she clearly dropped individual under-developed eggs. each one was separate.

Sounds like poop to me...feed her some small pieces of broken algae wafer or a squashed boiled pea.

I agree with jaxmom293, if you are going to breed for, and keep, any live bearer fry get some Java Moss or similar. Those little devils will soon dive into it and you wont see them until they figure it is safe to come out.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store